Chapter Seventeen

Marcus~

Nate had booked adjoining hotel rooms for Marcus, Caroline and the rest of Alpha team and was waiting on standby for Caroline's condition to improve to book flights back to California for the group.

Marcus made sure that Nate had found a room with two beds, not knowing how comfortable Caroline would be with sharing a bed at that point. As far as he knew, they were going to be starting from square one and he never wanted to assume anything or make her feel uncomfortable in any way. If slow and steady is what she needed, that's exactly what he would be for her and she was worth the wait.

"Can you even believe this shit?" Axel asked, standing beside Marcus as they both looked at the woman that neither of them thought they'd ever lay eyes on again.

"I'm still in shock brother. I send up a prayer every couple seconds that I don't wake up, just in case this is all a dream." Marcus said still in disbelief.

"There's a lot we need to discuss as a team, Red included, but that can wait. You two have been through hell and have a lot of catching up to do." Axel said, giving Marcus and endearing slap on the back as he turned to join Austin and Hawk in the next room.

"Holler if you need us."

"Will do, brother." Marcus said as he shut the door.

Making his way over to the bed, Marcus tried to move as silently as he could, but saw Caroline's eyes blink open the second he got close. She may have been injured, but she was still an operative and was acutely aware of her surroundings at all times.

She let out a sigh and gave him a sleepy smile that spread warmth throughout his chest as she pulled the comforter to one side and patted the bed as a nonverbal invitation to join her.

Hell yes.

He was thrilled to death that Caroline still trusted him enough to let him hold her and couldn't wait to get that gorgeous woman in his arms. Toeing his shoes off as fast as he could Marcus carefully lowered himself down next to Caroline, taking extra care not to jostle her injured side.

"Are you more comfortable on your back or on your side?" Marcus asked, trying to help Caroline maneuver her sore body to the most comfortable position.

"Side." Caroline grunted, trying to move herself.

"Let me help you baby, don't use these if you don't have to." Marcus said, placing his hand gently across her side and abdomen.

He lifted her easily, helping her turn on her side so she didn't have to engage her core at all until she was comfortably laying next to him. Looking over at her, he noticed a scowl on her face that furrowed her brows as they faced each other in the bed. 

"You hurting? We can move you to a different position if you're hurting, Red."

"No it's not that. It's just...you're not close enough to me. There's too much space right here." She said motioning with her hand to the foot of empty space between them on the bed.

"Oh that's an easy fix sweetheart." Marcus said with a smile, shifting his body closer to hers, and helping her raise up until she was laying her head on his chest and shoulder.

"Better?" He asked, resting his cheek on the top of her head.

"The best." She hummed against his chest.

They laid there silently, soaking in the feel of each other's skin, wrapping themselves in each other's scent, being present in that moment in utter disbelief and amazement that they were in each other's arms.