Chapter 39

A/N: Put your saddest song on repeat or Homura by LiSA. Good luck ❤️

This was supposed to be Saturday's chapter, but I don't want to see you guys suffer, so here you have ~

See ya next week!

~

"Here you have!" her smile so kind, holding an ice cream cone to her brother.

Inumaki stood there, watching the dessert on her hands; wondering how she knew he wanted one.

And that flavor in particular.
His favorite one.

"Hmm?" she tilted her head to look at him "I saw you staring at the ice cream shop, so I thought you wanted one. Sometimes you're too shy to ask for things because of your seal but your eyes don't lie, silly" Y/N said before smiling again.

The boy didn't blink, but something inside of his system softened as his throat was now itching, forbidding him to speak.

Inumaki's vision getting blurry by how considerate this girl was, how attentive and aware of his movements she became, ever since she could read him like a book, as if it was the most normal thing in the world to do.

She knew deep down that he was scared to curse people by accident and because of that he thought the best option was for him not to ask for anything.

The boy had remained silent, but no one could tell his heart was screaming because all he wanted was to be understood.

He closed himself, afraid of hurting the ones he treasured; and still this girl was there next to him, asking for the ice cream he wanted and giving it to him.

Y/N knew his favorite flavour because of how his face shone when his parents gave him that one in particular.

She remembered that clearly and was now giving it to him.

But Inumaki just stood there in silence.

"Oh no, you wanted another one right?!" the girl panicking because her stepbrother wasn't moving an inch "Maybe they can change it if I ask them, gosh I don't want to order again.. Maybe If I write it down and give the paper to th-"

A couple of hands pulling her to an embrace, half her face caught up by a few strands of silver hair and quiet sobs tickling her ears.

"Thank you.." was all the boy managed to say in a wobbly voice, words trembling as they make their way out of his mouth.

A small boy trembling with his hands wrapped to his stepsister, holding her like the most important thing he had in the world, a treasure he wanted to keep away from any harm.

Y/N was moving her finger back and forth on her stepbrother's silky hair, hugging him tighter because that's what she felt he wanted to do.

"You're welcome, but you don't need to cry" she said moving a little and giving him the ice cream he later tasted "It's just ice cream, Inumaki.. Well.. I would cry if I got free ice cream too" she started laughing.

She was right
It was just ice cream

But it was the weight of affection it held that made the boy lose his composure, because for him, asking for the smallest thing felt like it was too much for the world to handle.

Asking for something so insignificant like an ice cream felt like a complicated experiment for him, rehearsing the request in his head over and over because it had to be perfect; not leaving opening from mistakes so he couldn't hurt anyone.