normality » acceptance

(the hemming's household. Liz is sat at the dining table, sewing a hole in one of her shirts. Luke enters the room)

Luke: (nervous) mum, can i, um, talk to you?

Liz: (looking up, setting her sewing needle and thread onto the table) of course you can. come on, sit down with me.

Luke: (shuffles over to the dining table, sitting in a wooden chair across the table from Liz) there's just, like, a lot on my mind right now and i don't have anyone to talk to.

Liz: you can't talk to calum? you boys tell one another everything.

Luke: (shifts uncomfortably in his chair) no, actually, because it's about calum.

Liz: (understanding) i am assuming it's about those letters, yes?

Luke: (questioning) i didn't tell you about that... how did you know?

Liz: you read the letters, you should know. Calum came by twice whilst you were gone, the poor lad couldn't seem to keep away. (smiles) he told me about them the second time he was over. he spilled his little heart out to me, he thought i would be angry with him.

Luke: but you weren't mad?

Liz: (shaking her head) of course not. calum is practically family here, you know that. i love him as if he were my son.

Luke: (pained) mum, there is something that i need to tell you and i don't want to you be mad at me.

Liz: i won't be angry, love. what's troubling you?

Luke: (strained) i tried so hard to be normal, i did. i didn't ask for this to happen, for me to be this way. at first, it was working. i tried to train myself to be normal, but i can't because i'm just not.

Liz: (concerned) luke, what are you on about? you are normal, nothing is wrong with you.

Luke: (quick) no! there is something wrong with me (quiet) i'm gay

Liz: luke...

Luke: (loud) i'm sorry! (wipes a fallen tear from his cheek) i tried! i slept with girls, i dated girls! i tried to force myself to like them, but i can't!

Liz: (demanding) luke, you stop right now and you listen to me! (luke stops rambling) i am not angry with you, not in the slightest. you are normal, there is nothing wrong with you. this is just a tiny aspect of who you are, it doesn't change my unconditional love for you.

Luke: (quiet) i don't know what to do.

Liz: (curious) is it Calum then? (luke looks up at her) has his confession brought this out in you, is this why you've decided to tell me?

Luke: (nods) i've always cared for him, i have always loved him. but i am so selfish, all i have done is hurt him! he won't... he won't forgive me.

Liz: i wouldn't be so quick to think such things, luke. i have seen how that boy acts around you, i have heard the way he speaks of you. he is surely in love with you. you have to tell him this.

Luke: (unsure) is now the right time?

Liz: (smiles, picking up her needle and thread) there is no time quite like the present.

author's note: so Luke's secret is finally out, but we all new this was comingnow he just has to tell Cal. do you think he will muster up the courage to do so? tell me in the comments! also, do you like the new cover?