"It's not the world's greatest conversation starter," I said.

Ed's eyes glittered in a maverick grin.

"As you wish."

To my significant alarm, he jumped up on the kitchen chair, gaining everyone's attention. He swayed unsteadily on his chair. He was a good few pints in by now.

"Ladies and gentlemen," he announced, "I am ordered by Ellen to say, that she desires to know what you are all thinking of?"

Most of the 'Ladies and Gentlemen' guffawed with laughter. Tara glowered.

"Shut up Ed," I said. I pulled him down from the chair, cheeks flaming. "I did not say that," I told the room at large, aware that far too many people were looking in my direction.

"I'm not about to tell you want I'm thinking, but we can play something else," said Christopher, shuffling the cards. I nodded, hoping to pass back into obscurity, and most of the group seemed to agree.

"Ooh, we could play Truth or Dare!" said Elizabeth, her face lighting up.

Truth or Dare? What were we, fifteen? Someone would suggest Spin the Bottle next. But Elizabeth's suggestion seemed to go down well. Clearly people had drunk enough to be ready for personal questions and risky challenges. We made space on the table and gathered in a renewed circle, with Tara, as usual, directing proceedings. Christopher kicked off.

"Ellen," he said. Great. Everyone's eyes back on me. "Since it was your orders that brought this on, tell us the truth: have you ever been so drunk, you passed out?"

He asked it with a trace of a smirk, but I was relieved to start with an easy one.

"No," I said.

"Oh my God, I told you she was a total nerd!" said Tara to her neighbour, in what she probably considered was an undertone. I stiffened.

"It's your turn to ask someone then," said Christopher.

"Sure."

I glanced round the circle. Everyone was still looking at me. The problem was not just what to ask, but who.

The only Truth I wanted to know was who kept leaving all the washing up.

Before I could come up with a less lame question, my phone started to ring. It was Sophie.

"Oh, I'm going to have to get this," I said. Annoyed shouts came in response, but I wasn't about to give up a chat with my best friend for this. Not when I'd been struggling to get hold of her. "Um, Elizabeth, you take my go, I'll be back in a sec."

I picked up my drink and stumbled out of my chair and into the corridor. Elizabeth had left me hanging for a phone call earlier in the day, so in a way we were now even. As soon as the door closed, I pressed the green camera button, and Sophie's face loaded up. I could tell from one glance she was rather drunk.

"Babe," she shouted, dragging the word out into one long syllable. "I just realised I'm missing you so much, like, I'm missing you so much right now and I just wanted to call you, to tell you that I love you, right, I love you, you're the best friend ever, and like, I'm so sorry that I didn't answer your call the other day, I was just, like so busy, and then, like, I got distracted, and you know, I promise, I love you the most out of any other girl in the world ever, like even if I was married I would still love you the most, you're my bae, you are just the best person in the world ever..."

A broad grin spread across my face as I let her drunken ramble wind on. While she spoke I let myself into my room and lay down across my bed.

"No, you're the best person in the world ever. I miss you. How's it going, are you having a good night?"