Chapter 31

Author's PoV:

It was Sunday and around 11 am when Saba called Mariam to discuss about some stuff related to their children's wedding. They talked and laughed and hung up after good forty minutes. Saba decided to make tea for herself so she got up and went towards the kitchen. As she entered, she almost let out a scream at the mess created by her daughter. There was ketchup spilled on the kitchen counter, wrappers near the dustbin and three to four containers of spices laid open.

In the midst of it all, Ashiya stood humming to herself as she stirred something in the frying pan. There was some flour on her hair and cheeks but she didn't seem to care less.

"What the hell! Is this a kitchen or a dumpster? What have you done ?" Saba panicked and Ashiya jumped in surprise.
"And what are you cooking?"

"Pasta. White sauce pasta," Ashiya answered proudly.

"Why? Didn't you just have aaloo ke paranthe?" Saba inquired to which Ashiya frowned.

"That was an hour ago. I'm hungry again," Ashiya pouted rubbing her tummy.

Slapping her own forehead, Saba started cleaning the mess as Ashiya served some pasta for herself and her mother. She had just been done and was walking out clumsily when her elbow hit the water jug placed on the kitchen counter and it fell to shatter into pieces.

"Haye Allah!" Saba yelled, "Have you taken an oath to trouble me forever? Is this what you're going to do at your in laws? Shatter stuff and embarass yourself and me?"

"Don't worry," Ashiya quickly picked up the broom and cleaned the mess, "I'll learn everything." She then turned to her mother and added, "Besides, Mariam Khala isn't as grumpy as you are," she said and ran outside as Saba snatched the broom and ran behind her.

.

.

"WHAT?" Saira and Shifa exclaimed together, looking at Ashiya who sat on her bed, with a face pack on. The two ladies had come to Ashiya's place to discuss about her wedding. "I thought you didn't find him hot," Saira narrowed her eyes.

"I didn't," Ashiya spoke defensively, "but he's a good guy and he understands consent. I mean, how often do you find guys who understand consent?" Ashiya questioned and Saira nodded. "Plus, I now admit that he indeed is good looking."

"But the last time I saw him, he seemed to be so angry at you," Shifa recalled the night when she and Ashiya were returning from the reunion. "He looked like he was gonna eat you up alive."

"I thought so too but he didn't say anything much to me. He just ordered me to go to my room. I guess he's good in handling his temper," Ashiya answered thoughtfully.

"Is he on social media?" Saira questioned to which Ashiya shrugged. "Let's find him on instagram," she suggested and Shifa jumped up and landed on her side.

"Come, bride to be, let's stalk your fiance," Shifa exclaimed and pulled Ashiya by her hand to make her sit by her side. Saira opened instagram on her phone and went to the "search" option.

"What's his full name?"

"Ahan Rahman," answered Ashiya. It was weird for her to take his name now that they were going to get married but she kept those thoughts aside. Few profiles appeared and the three friends opened each profile one by one. They didn't find their target until they opened the fifth profile.

"Wow, he really is hot," Shifa commented as they eyed his profile picture and Ashiya felt a little proud. It was him in a black shirt and aviators, facing sideways. There were 7 posts, 1300 followers and 10 following. His posts were mostly quotes by different people and he didn't seem much active.

"Okay, we're clearly not getting any info here," Saira sighed and Shifa and Ashiya agreed. They closed the app but not before clicking on follow.

.

.

.

Ahan's PoV:

I entered the house and saw Mom sitting on the couch and talking to somebody on the phone. Beside her, Ayan sat with his laptop as he shoved chips inside his mouth. I went to Mom and cleared my throat to get her attention.

"Okay I'll talk to you tomorrow. Yes, Allah Hafiz," Mom cut the call and turned to me. She must have sensed my good mood which is why she raised her eyebrows in confusion.

"I found a house," I smiled and in a second Mom had a big grin on her face. "It's three blocks away, near the city park . It's big and beautiful. I think you should come and have a look at it tomorrow," I suggested.

"Of course, I'm so happy. Now, if Saba and Ashiya agree then we can get your nikah done soon."

"Oh yes, Bhai would love that," Ayan grinned at me and I kicked his leg. "What? Don't you wanna get married soon?" He accused to which Mom laughed.

"I'll talk to Saba about this. If everything goes well then we can have your wedding by the end of next month," she shrugged and I stopped myself from hugging her. It would have made me seem desperate, which I definitely am.

Later on at night I told Ayan to tell Ashiya that I had brought a house for us to which he, being the kid he is, asked me to bribe him. I, instead, turned to Arhaan and who was happily obeyed my orders. Perks of being the eldest brother.

It was still hard to believe that I was going to marry Ashiya. It all seemed like a dream. I remember how she had called me a jinnat when she had seen me in the guest room, how she had landed on her butt after colliding with me in my office, and how she had been a comforting listener on the night I was at my most vulnerable state. She indeeed was something special, something so rare.

Now I only pray to Allah to grant us the happiness of marital life. May Allah help me to become a good husband to her. She's so pure and innocent that she deserves the best. I hope I succeed in protecting her and providing her all the joy in the world.