Chapter 6

The Uber pulls up to Andrews football field, I thanked the driver before sprinting out to the bleachers.

When Andrew and I first started dating, he told me he would love for me to come to all of his football games, and a few practices per week. He said it was because 'I inspire him to do better, and if I'm there, he'll play better'.

Of course I said yes, I've always been willing to do whatever it takes as long as it's beneficial for him. And the idea of dating the best player on the team excited me.

For the first 6 months, It was great.

He'd pick me up from my house before every single one of his practices, I'd stay and cheer him on from the bleachers the whole time.

On game days, I'd Uber to the field so he would have time to practice before the game, and not have to worry about picking me up.

I'd always show my support for him however I could, wearing a shirt with his jersey number on it, painting my face with his team colors. Sometimes it was hard to put so much face paint on, but no matter how annoying it was at times, I'd continue because it made him happy.

Throughout the game, he'd make eye contact with me, winking sometimes. It made me feel special to be his. His only.

Afterwards, he'd dart towards my spot on the bleachers to shower me with kisses, completely ignoring the girls screaming for him and his teammates trying to celebrate, and the scouters begging to get a minute with him.

Like I was the only person in the world that mattered to him.

The only one he saw.

And after each game, whether he won or lost, we'd go get ice cream. It was a way for us to spend quality time together, a way for me to say I Love you in a way other than words.

But only for 6 months.

After he hit me, it all stopped, all the love and affection, as if I'd done something wrong to him.

Not immediately though, he did it in the worst way possible. He did it slowly, doing less and less each day, so I barely noticed anything was different until eventually there was nothing more.

It started with him saying things like "The boys want to have a little extra practice before the game, I can't pick you up today babe."

Who would I be to object and not let him have some extra practice so he can do good for his game?

So I said okay.

That continued on until he just stopped making excuses and I was expected to find my own way there. But I didn't mind of course. As far as I was concerned, It was for a good cause.

Then he stopped coming straight to the bleachers to see me afterward. He celebrated with his teammates, and sometimes lingered around for conversations with the girls in his personal audience. But he always came to see me after that.

Until he didn't anymore. But who would I be to take him away from the attention he deserves?

Then he started having post-game meetings with scouts from all over. Colleges basically begging him to accept their scholarships. I wasn't surprised in the least. He's the most talented player at our school, and he's been apart of an amateur football team during the summer for years now.

He was doing amazing and he was happy.

So, although all the meetings meant we no longer had our ice cream dates after games, it would all be worth it for him in the end.

So I remained happy for him, like a supportive girlfriend should.

It wasn't until 8 months into our relationship that I'd realized how much had changed.