“What do you want to know?”

“I dunno. Tell me anything.”

“Like what?” he asked with a smile, glad that she was actually willing to talk about something other than his possessions.

“Umm tell me about your house in LA again.”

Seriously?!

“Uh,” he said placing the side of his head against his hand, “well like I said before, its three stories. Six bedrooms, seven bath, three car garage. It has a family room and a living room and a formal dining room and a breakfast nook, and a movie room.”

“Wow,” she said her eyes glittering, “it sounds amazing.”

“Thanks.” He said a bit uncomfortably.

“So when we come to visit Santa Barbara would we get another house, or stay with Yusra and Amir?”

When we visit Santa Barbara?

She was acting like things were already set in stone, and in all honesty, Houssam was getting more annoyed with her by the second.

“Um I’m not sure yet. I haven’t given it much thought.”

“Well I have, and I think it would be cute if we got a little house with a picket fence!” she exclaimed. “With a pool!”

Houssam nodded, trying not to show how awkward he was feeling. Luckily Ahmad and Laila came back, and a few moments later the waiter returned with their food. They ate quietly, the silence only being broken once in awhile by something Kalthoum had to say. But other than that, no one else really talked.  

Once the bill came, of course Houssam and Ahmad fought over it until Houssam swore he was going to pay, and of course Ahmad couldn’t do anything about it. After they paid, Laila suggested they walk along the beach together, and after gathering their things, they stepped out of the restaurant, Houssam and Kalthoum taking the lead, and Ahmad and Laila standing behind them.

Houssam folded his arms across his chest, and walked in step with Kalthoum, leaving a space big enough for another person between them.

“So what’s bothering you Houssam?”

“What?” he asked in surprise, for he didn’t think she would be able to notice that he was acting differently as long as he was talking about his wealth.

“I know something is wrong with you. What is it? Is it work?”’

“No, no work is fine. It’s just,” he hesitated, wondering if he should tell her. “it’s Hana.” He said, and as he was staring out at the water, he missed the way her eyes flashed in anger.

“What do you mean Hana?”

“She’s just been acting weird. Did she say anything to you?”

“About what?”

“I dunno if anything is wrong with her. You haven’t noticed that something is wrong?”

Kalthoum crossed her arms, and glared at her feet.

“No. But then again she’s been so busy with Kareem and the newspaper, that she hardly ever has time for me.”

Houssam frowned.

“I’m sure if she knew that you were trying to get in touch with her, she would make the time.”

Kalthoum shrugged.

“I don’t know. She can be pretty invested in that newspaper. I’ll be so glad when it finally comes out, maybe she will have time for her friends.”