two | snippets of truth

☼

chapter two | snippets of truth
episode one & two

Silence hung between the two with the only sound being the echo of the club atmosphere beneath them. Kaz walked closer to the desk as Neave watched him pick up a coin before dropping it on the desk again — it wasn't enough. He didn't look angry, though; surprised, instead, as if he hadn't expected Neave's request.

"You want to come?" Kaz repeated, questioning it himself. "Tell me, Neave, why were you listening in earlier?"

"Curiosity," she shrugged, not meeting his gaze. "I listen in to everyone around here, hoping to find someone with an untraceable way through the Fold," then she met his gaze, wanting it to be known that it was the truth. "I am no spy, Kaz. Pekka Rollins is getting to your head."

"I know you are not a spy," he pursed his lips together. "I fed you false information as a test when you first joined, but it never reached Rollins."

Neave rolled her eyes at that, but it wasn't out of agitation — his ways simply amused Neave, where the corner of her lips pulled upwards. "You also set up an ambush on me," she recalled, impressed that she had managed to get under his skin that much. Maybe she wasn't as good as an actress as she thought she was. "Inej had been following me all day and then after my first shift. Did I prove myself to you then, Kaz?"

He wouldn't admit to it, Neave knew that, but if she could impress him enough to let her join without having to share her reasons, then so be it. But, of course, he had known that Neave knew about Inej since the spy had recalled the ambush to Kaz.

"Why do you want to cross the Fold?" Kaz asked instead.

Snippets of truth were better than lies.

"I was born in East Ravka," Neave confessed as her fingers gripped at her necklace, fiddling with the old rose charm. Looking up, she couldn't tell if Kaz was surprised by the truth or not. "I was barely a few weeks old when Marian Villena fled the country with me, crossing the Fold. My birth mother wanted more of a life for me than one of war."

"How did Marian cross the Fold?" Kaz questioned.

"I have no idea," Neave answered, sensing his disappointment. Had he not found a way through the Fold yet? "I imagine my birth mother had connections in the Little Palace."

There was a second silence as Kaz's eyes fell on the coins again. Seeing that, Neave knew that she hadn't offered enough for her place nor had she impressed Kaz enough to come. If she had a way to cross the Fold, then perhaps she would have, or she could have used it as leverage.

"I can get you more money," Neave offered, sounding desperate. "I can... pay you back some way or maybe my Ravkan family can help. I can offer my services for free too."