Chapter 8: Anam Cara✔️

(n.) - a person with whom you can share your deepest thoughts, feelings, and dreams with; your soul friend

Pronounced: awe-num car-uh

•Winter's pov•

What to wear, what to wear, what to wear. Last night, Wonder stayed in my room and fell asleep without a problem. He went back to his room this morning though. As of right now, I'm trying to find an outfit to wear to Nonno's house for the family gathering later today. I'm actually really excited to see everyone.

We have a pretty large family. My grandfather, Xerxes has 3 sons: my uncle Gallen, my uncle Lexus, and my father. My father was the oldest of the 3. As for my mother's family, they hated my father because he was a mafia leader. They hated him even more when they got married and when my mother was pregnant with Lorenzo and Vincenzo, they were livid. They wanted to take them from my father, claiming that he was a monster, so she cut off all communication with them.

My uncle Gallen, or uncle Len, is the second oldest and has 5 sons. Lucian is 26, Tobias is 21, and Areo, Aristos, and Arius are 17. We refer to them as the triplets. His wife is Elena, or as we call her, Aunt El.

Uncle Lexus, or uncle Lex, is the youngest of the 3 He has 4 sons. Nikkios, who we call Nik or Niko, is 26, Cyrus is 22, and Damian and Darius are 17. His wife's name is Alaia, or as we like to call her, Aunt Laia. Then I have my Uncle Helios who is friends with all of them, and of course Aunt Val.

After a few more minutes of searching my closet, I finally find an outfit that is both appropriate and comfortable. I lay my outfit out on my bed and take a quick shower, wash my face, and brush my teeth. Instead of getting dressed in the outfit I laid out, I change into sweatpants and a t-shirt so I can do my hair. After having it wavy for the last couple days, I decide to straighten it.

It only takes me about 30 minutes to finish my hair. I still have a lot of time left until we leave and I already ate breakfast, so sketching seems like a good way to pass some time. I get out my sketchbook and pencils and sit at my bay window.

As I'm sketching, I start thinking about the past 10 years of my life. I think about my brothers, mother, and father. I think about what would've happened if I had stayed or if Wonder had come with me. I think about all the pain, torture, and training I went through. Did I go through everything for a reason, or was it all for nothing?

Did my family miss out on 10 years of my life, and me with theirs for nothing? Did I work my ass off to survive in this cruel world and in this life, did I get kicked, slapped, punched, stabbed, and starved, did I, as a 6 year old, wonder what I did so wrong and bad for my family to abandon me, was it all for nothing?

Or was it all for a reason?

As my thoughts cloud my mind, I don't realize how long it's been, or that I've finished my sketch. The sketch is of a young girl, although only her eyes are visible. One of her eyes is closed while the other is open with a tear coming out of it.

 One of her eyes is closed while the other is open with a tear coming out of it