To love your enemy

It is the searing month of June. The rebellion against the British has just begun and Awadh is up in flames. Hindus and Muslims have joined hands to overthrow the foreign rulers and set India free. Some Indian rulers have started to enter into alliances to fight the firangis, while others have thrown in their lot with the foreigners. Amid all this, Riyaz Khan, a young solider from the army of the Raja of Mahmudabad, saves a group of Britishers from fellow 'mutineers' and escorts them to the safety of Lucknow. In this group is Alice, who falls in love with Riyaz and eventually becomes an informer for the rebels.

Here's a sneak peek into how upholding ideals culminates into a tale of epic romance.

Illustration by Labonie Roy

The English seemed slightly at ease as the young woman said to Riyaz, 'Mr Riyaz, we shall never forget you. You are an angel, not a human, and your companions are also good people.'

Riyaz was about to respond when Ram Tirath interjected, 'Memsaab, he is the son of a very important man and is very brave. Brave men always treat their enemies properly.'

The young woman turned towards Riyaz and then looked at the floor. Riyaz and Pandey left the room, stood under the shade and started talking to each other.

Ram Tirath said, 'Riyaz Bhaiyya, you are very generous. And why not? After all, you are your father's son! The old proverb is famous, "Baapat poot, praapat ghoda, bahut nahin toh thoda thoda." The father's character is reflected in the son. But Bhaiyya, if you ask me, I would honestly say that giving these people shelter is asking for trouble. Just yesterday, my son Gopal returned from Lucknow. He said that about fifty men from some platoon from Sitapur escorted some Englishwomen and children to Lucknow.

On reaching there, the commander took the soldiers to Machchi Bhawan and asked them to lay down their arms. When they refused, he had them shot.'

'Pandey Ji, I have also heard this,' replied Riyaz. 'But my faith and my ancestors' ways tell me that we should always behave kindly and properly with our enemies. We shall fight those who fight us, but we must give shelter to those who ask for it.'

'You are right. This is why I had some Englishwomen and children escorted to Lucknow the day before yesterday.' Riyaz narrated the incident from the orchard and said, 'If I hadn't been ready to fight that mounted company, they would have killed these people right there.'
'Bhaiyya, bhagwan will keep you safe and sound.'
After talking about this and that for a while, Riyaz said,

'Pandey Ji, I should take my leave now.'
'Let the afternoon mellow, then leave. Where will you go in this scorching heat?'
'Subedar Sahib asked me to return quickly. We might

be returning to Mahmudabad today.'
'Your Raja Sahib is a great man,' said Ram Tirath.

'The day before yesterday, three of his soldiers escorted five Englishwomen and children to Lucknow, and last night, on their way back, they stopped here.'

'He is a diehard opponent of the firangis, but he hasn't yet caused harm to anyone. He has decided to come out and openly fight the English.'

Jawahar Singh stuck his head out the haveli door and shouted in their direction, 'Why don't you come and sleep for an hour or two?'

'I was planning to leave now, but Pandey Ji says I should leave in the evening.'

'I agree. It's too hot and the winds are too strong. The loo will make you ill. You rest. I am coming.'

Jawahar Singh went back inside the room. Riyaz resumed his conversation with Ram Tirath. After a while, Ram Tirath said, 'Look, you too take rest. I am going to have something cooked for you in the meanwhile.' Riyaz headed towards the haveli but paused for a moment and called out to Ram Tirath. 

Illustration by Labonie Roy

'Could you put a couple of people on guard duty?' 'Don't worry. I have already told Sarju.'
Ram Tirath disappeared through one of the doors of the haveli. Riyaz went into the room the soldiers were in and sat down on a charpoy. The rest of the men had fallen asleep. Only Jawahar Singh was awake, but he too was feeling drowsy.

Riyaz lay down close to him. After a few minutes, Jawahar Singh was fast asleep and snoring.

About half an hour later, one of the villagers peered into the room. Riyaz immediately sat up and asked him, 'What's the matter?'

'Pandey Ji has sent an urn of water.'
'Take the water to the sahib log's room.'
The villager stared at him, puzzled. Riyaz smiled and

took the urn to the other room himself. The English were all fast asleep. He quietly placed the urn next to the door and was about to tiptoe back out when the young English girl called out to him softly. Riyaz looked at her and paused. She got up from her charpoy, walked towards him and gave him an innocent stare.

'Mr Riyaz!'
'Yes?'
'Are you planning to leave us now?' she asked, sounding sad.
'Yes, I am.'

She stared at him with pleading eyes and Riyaz's heart began to beat faster.

'Riyaz,' she exclaimed as she took his hands in hers and stared into his eyes. She tried to say something but couldn't find the words.

The firangi girl's touch had sent a tingle through Riyaz's body, and he nervously took a step back. The girl called out to him again in the same pleading tone.

Riyaz stuttered, 'Yes . . . you . . .'
'My name is Alice,' said the girl, with some difficulty. One of the Englishwomen rolled over in her sleep.

Alice retreated, and Riyaz hurried out of the room.

~

The Break of Dawn, originally published in Urdu as Aghaaz-e-Sahr, is a thrilling read and a reminder of a time when Indians came together to fight for the honour and freedom of their homeland.