Chapter 2

The speed in which the support crew arrived told Taylor they were already prepped for the incident. More than likely they were already on their way, prior to her call. In a matter of minutes, three black SUVs pulled into the Jones' driveway. No lights or sirens heralded their visit. Tinted windows hid the car's occupants until they exited the vehicles. Taylor watched them approach from the second story window.

She instructed Mrs. Jones to greet them at the door while she remained upstairs. Against all reason, James Jones continued to struggle against his bonds, flopping on the floor like a fish out of water. Despite the blood loss and the multiple concussions at Taylor's hands, he refused to lie still. He persisted in his incoherent mumbling while Taylor pinned him to the floor. Her right boot secured his lower back to the study's carpet.

"Why?" he said, clearly enough for her to hear. "Why wouldn't you want my gift of freedom? The darkness that lives inside us all is begging to be released."

"Thanks for offering the impromptu plastic surgery, though I'll have to pass. I like my face arranged how it is."

Her comment didn't faze her prisoner, who continued to ramble on about beauty and darkness.

Seconds after the SUVs arrived, car doors slammed and an army of medics, investigators, and even a psychiatrist, all on the company's payroll, entered the house.

They really pulled out all the stops for this one, Taylor thought.

Footsteps on the stairwell preceded the office door opening and a familiar face poked through. Despite his youthful appearance, Wade Treadstone was a senior member of Lazarus Pharmaceuticals. He handled public relations for the company and headed her own department. Outside of tonight, Taylor had only seen him a handful of times at the office, never outside the Lazarus Pharmaceutical buildings.

"Taylor," he said with a wide smile.

Men and women in black suits and sterilized medical uniforms entered the room behind him.

"Mr. Treadstone, I wasn't aware you handled cases in the field."

"Please call me, Wade." He motioned to James Jones' struggling form on the floor beneath Taylor's boot. "Reliable as always. Did he put up much of a fight?"

"Nothing I couldn't handle."

Wade's team wasted no time in containing the situation. Lights were found and flipped, two large men in suits relieved Taylor's vigil on her prisoner, and a medical team began their examination on the secured subject.

"You're sure no bodily fluids came in contact with you?"

"No. I anticipated that may be an issue so I handled him at a distance. What exactly are we dealing with here?"

Wade scratched the stubble on his jaw. His eyes traveled from his team working in the study to Taylor. "You know as much as I do. You've handled these calls in the past. The medical team will let us know exactly what it is. Probably an overdose or a cocktail of the wrong medications."

Taylor bit her tongue. In the last two years she had worked for Lazarus Pharmaceuticals, nothing like this had ever happened. In the years she spent working for big corporations and government agencies, nothing like this ever even came close. Sure, there were always drugged-up maniacs. Overdosing on pills messed with people's minds, but this was somehow different, darker.

"We'll need a full report. As soon as possible," Wade said. "Taylor, I trust I don't have to remind you that our company values discretion above all else."

Something in his tone threw warning flags in Taylor's mind. Everything was off about the night so far. The edge in Wade's voice only confirmed her suspicions.

"Of course, sir. That's why you pay me so well."

Wade smiled as Taylor knew he would. People in position of power always enjoyed the mention of money. Their religion told them if someone could be bought, they could be trusted.

"Good, I knew you were the right person for the job," Wade stated. "Despite the late hour, however, I'd like you to get checked out by our medical team tonight. To be on the safe side."

"Of course."

Taylor's eyes shifted to the rest of Wade's team. Three men were holding James Jones in a chair. He was secured now with handcuffs and a mask that brought to mind images of Hannibal Lecter. A fourth member of the team injected what Taylor assumed was a sedative into his right arm. Two more men stood nearby ready to jump in if their captive's constant struggling became too much. The idea of six large employees all restraining a single man past his prime was almost comical...almost.

James Jones was beyond words now, gnashing his teeth. The repetitive motion of his enamel striking each other made a disturbing clicking sound. He struggled with every ounce of his strength to rise from the chair.

"Perfect," Wade said, motioning Taylor out of the room. "There's a car waiting for you downstairs that will take you to the office."

Taylor raised an eyebrow.

"I'm afraid I'll have to insist," Wade said with a smile. "I'll have someone drive your car to the medical wing. Once you're cleared, it will be waiting for you."

Despite the minimal interaction with Wade Treadstone in the past, Taylor knew his type. Arguing the point would get her nowhere.

"That's fine," she said without missing a beat. "I'll just need to grab my notebook."