Chapter 24: Surprises

A/N: Hi everyone. It's been a while so I added a lengthier chapter with a few surprises in store for you; hence, the chapter's tentative title. Enjoy! :)

Chapter 24: Surprises

“They took him”, Tony repeated, catching his breath.

“How? What happened?” Cheska asked. She had witnessed Louis’ skills when he and Tony fought and was astonished at the sudden turn of events.

“We were on our way back when Louis told me that someone was following us. We led them as far away from here as possible. We split up but I got caught. They dragged me to an alley where Louis was fighting off the others. One of them pointed a gun at me, saying he’ll shoot me if Louis doesn’t come quietly with them. He stopped then and they drove off with him.” Tony covered his face with shaking hands. The image of the gun aimed at his head flashed in his mind. Cheska wrapped an arm around his waist and guided him to a chair.

“Did you get a good look at any of them?” Fred asked, leaning forward.

“I don’t remember their faces.”

“The car’s plate number?”

Tony shook his head. “There wasn’t any.”

Cheska was unsure how things worked in Louis’ circle. He didn’t look like an average person. It wasn’t just because of his skills in martial arts, she had noticed small details yesterday: the quality of his clothes and the way he walked, talked (when he was cool-headed), and ate. For a person who looked like he had been living off the streets for a while, Louis had impeccable manners. The only time he was emotional was when it concerned his sister. Fred was another enigma to her. He could be friendly, teasing, terrifying, and caring in mere moments. He and Louis was a complicated bunch.

At the moment, Fred’s head was bowed. His brows slightly furrowed and eyes unseeing, he seemed to have forgotten the two people in the room with him.

“Should we call the police?” Cheska asked.

“No”, Fred said sharply. “It might make things worse for him.” He swung his legs off the bed and stood. Fred instantly regretted his sudden movement as the dull throb in his head spiked momentarily.

“I see.”

Behind the quietness of her voice, Fred sensed her worry. Considering that Louis broke into her house, he was impressed that Cheska cared for his wellbeing.

“His family doesn’t like their personal problems being broadcasted in the news”, Fred added.

“Is he the heir to the Roucan Global Enterprises or something?” Cheska thought aloud, pouring Tony a glass of water.

“Something like that”, Fred answered after a short pause. Thankfully, Cheska didn’t notice his initial shock. She was busy checking on Tony for signs of physical injury.

“What do you propose we should do?” Cheska asked.

“I’m going to see a friend who might help. You can stay here and wait for news or call me when Louis comes back.” The latter part earned Fred a confused look on both Cheska and Tony.

Cheska’s frown deepened as she something nagged in the back of her mind. “You can’t go traipsing off on your own with a head trauma”, she said, blocking the door.

“Tony’s not in the condition to drive and I’m fine already.” Fred smiled. She didn’t have to know about the mild headache he was still suffering from. It would only add to her worries when the symptom wasn’t worth mentioning in the first place.