CHAPTER SIXTEEN

CHAPTER SIXTEEN.

Riding through the first day and night, Liliya eventually found herself at a small village not far from Keramzin. She was exhausted and had managed to get a plan to stay for the night. She was glad and with her stomach full of hot food, she walked into her room. Truffle was at the stable a few houses down so she knew he would be safe.

The anxiety had been playing on her mind since she left the Little Palace and she continuously found herself looking back to ensure she wasn't being followed. Kirigan most likely knew that she had gone now and she wondered how he would react. She didn't know but she also didn't entirely care how he reacted. It was what she had threatened and she was going to follow through. He should have known and she tried not to let her mind become too consumed by him.

She discarded her clothes and slipped on her nightdress before getting under the covers. It was nowhere near as comfortable as her bed at the Little Palace but with a little bit of adjustment, she was adequately comfortable. It was still frustrating and the blanket was scratchy but it was better than nothing so she sucked it up.

Her hands rested on her stomach as she stared at the ceiling. It was a new environment and despite her exhaustion, she was still wary and awake. It was ridiculous really. She needed to sleep so she closed her eyes and tried her best.

Taking in deep breaths, trying anything she could to drift off into sleep. She could hear the chatter of the patrons outside her room. The clunking of bags and people's boots against the corridor. She didn't mind, the ambience was better than the silence of the Little Palace but it was strange. It was new and she just had to get used to it.

But she missed Genya and she wished Kirigan was with her. She hated how her mind drifted to them so easily but her hair served as a constant reminder of Genya and her mind could never forget Kirigan. She hadn't been able to sleep properly except with him. She hoped that maybe the journey would allow her to overcome it.

And somewhere later in the night, she managed to fall asleep. Her mind drifting as she relaxed under the sheets. Her dream world captivating her.

***

After collecting supplies, Liliya was tracking again. She had managed to gather a little information from the town and discovered that Roma and the Boy had both passed through at some point over the past day or so. It was lucky and it meant that she was on the right track. Truffle seemed to be a little more energetic and they rode off with a renewed speed.

Liliya was hoping to reach Keramzin and see if she could gather information. If Roma happened to be there, she would speak to him briefly but she wasn't going to put him in danger. If Kirigan ever found out that they had spoken, Roma might be accused of being a traitor and she was not stupid enough to allow that to happen.