Chapter 10

"Great, what now?" I said, raking my fingers through my hair

"Great, what now?" I said, raking my fingers through my hair.  "We're murderers. Double murderers at that. Even I knew we couldn't get away with murder, especially not for the rest of our lives. "We're going to get caught."  Murder or killing was the easy part; the difficult part was getting away with the murder. And I couldn't keep my mouth shut forever, especially if I decided to return to my church. I'd have to confess, and then I'd be screwed. We'd all be screwed. "We can't get caught," I said. "I'm not going to prison."

"Stop talking like that or else we will get caught. The whole loose lips sink ships and shit." Alisha slapped my back. "Relax. We need to think about this rationally. We can do this. I promise. look, I know I haven't given you a reason to trust me, but I really like you, and not just as a friend but as a lover." Alisha hugged me. 

"Enough small talk," I said. I felt my cheeks burn and my watery mouth run dry as I gulped back a lump in my throat. "It's a little too late for thinking rational," I said. Now was the time to think like a criminal. And not just any criminal. We'd gone full-blown murder, and there was no turning back. I couldn't shake the sight of blood dripping from the corner of Dan's mouth. I'd only seen such a thing in the movies. I never thought I'd see a dead body, not up close, and not like this. I couldn't imagine going to prison and being someone's bitch. "I'm not going to jail, not for you, not for anyone."

"Then get it together," Alisha said. "We were never here."

"But Jason is still alive." Alisha glanced at me. "He won't be for long."

"Two murders?" I said.

"We didn't kill Jason. He just kind of died while we were here."

"Oh, come on, Alisha!" I said. "We starved the bastard."

"Whose side are you on?" Alisha asked. 

"Do you even have to ask?"

"I'm not sure right now."

"Whatever we're going to do, let's get it over with," I said. My stomach couldn't take much more anxiety, and my sweaty fingers dropped everything I touched. "Just close your eyes and shoot him."

"I didn't know you were that cold-blooded," Alisha said. "I like it."

"He's right," Sarah said. "Let's get this over with."

Alisha slid her hand down the small of her back. I slammed my eyes shut and then opened one eye to a crinkle. I didn't know whether I wanted to see a man die right in front of me. It all seemed so morbid, but I know I'd regret not seeing it for the rest of my life. 

Alisha shot through the cage, killing Dan.

"Quick. Clean up," Sarah said. 

I searched the cupboards for bleach and soap to scrub the blood off the walls. We scrubbed and ate the pizza Sarah ordered. The onions evenly covered the cheese and the pepperoni melted well. We buried the bodies in the backyard. 

"Trouble!" Alisha said.

"What now?" I said. 

"Someone's here, that's what." Alisha threw a coat over her shoulders. Lights quickly approached the cabin; we slipped out the back door and headed for the woods behind the cabin. Two men walked into the house with a girl in handcuffs.

 Two men walked into the house with a girl in handcuffs

"Oh, fuck!" Alisha said.

"What is it?" I said.

"We killed the wrong people."

"But how?"

"So, don't get mad at me, but I never saw the guy's face."

I blew out my lips. "You didn't see the men who kidnapped you."

"That's exactly what I'm saying."

"But..."

"Down for a few more murders?" Alisha said. I mean, we're basically avengers of death or how every you say that." Alisha gave a half-shrug. 

"And you're ... you're serious?" I gave her a stoic glance.

"It only gets easier."

"Sure," I said. I mean, after all, I didn't actually kill anyone.

"I can see it on your face."

"What?"

"You're trying to rationalize that you didn't actually kill anyone. But you're just as responsible as we are."

How was I supposed to respond to this? I mean, I was there when the guys died. But no one will miss them; at least I told myself they were unloved losers who wouldn't be missed. I've been wrong before, and I wouldn't doubt it if I was wrong now. I saw pictures of family or friends on the walls. I guess his friends didn't know Jason as well as they thought they did. And maybe I didn't know Alisha as well as I dreamed I had.