Chapter Fourteen: Merry Christmas, Mr. Buscus

My iPhone next to me rang out, blaring Call Me Maybe into my right ear. I slammed the extra pillow on my bed over my face and groaned. What time was it? It had to be early. Six, at least, right?

With the pillow shielding my eyes from the sunlight pouring in through my bedroom window, I reached out and grabbed my phone off my bedside table. Caller ID: Toby. Immediately, my annoyed grimace transformed into a gleeful smile.

“Hello?” I answered, trying not to sound too excited.

“MERRY CHRISTMAS, MY LOVELY NOODLE!”

Well, if I wasn’t already awake, that sure did the trick.

“Uhh… do you know what time it is, Toby?”

“Well… let’s see here… if it’s seven in California, then it would be ten o’clock in Florida where you live.”

“What?!”

That couldn’t be right! I was supposed to be picking Toby and his family up at the airport right now!

“Yeah, you’re running late. REALLY late.”

“I’m so, so sorry, Toby!” I cried, struggling to get untangled from the sheets. “Not a very good first impression on your family, huh?” I muttered.

“Nope. But, it’s okay. Just be here ASAP, kay?”

“Yeah, I will, I promise!”

I didn’t even bother hanging up as I yanked the phone away from my ear and tossed it on my bed, behind me. I grabbed the closest, cleanest clothes I could find and pulled them on, not bothering to care if they matched or not.

I looked in my mirror. “Eew…” I mumbled, gracing a hand down my cheek. There was no arguing with myself here. I needed to at least throw some makeup on.

After doing just that, I pulled my hair up into a messy bun, finding that I looked at least a little better than before. I pulled my phone out and looked at the time: ten thirty.

“Aww, man! They’re gonna hate me!”

I ran out to my car, forgetting to lock my door on the way out. As I shoved the key into the ignition and started my car up, I looked back at my trailer decked out with Christmas lights. I couldn’t wait until I could turn them on tonight.

“Oh, enough admiring the lights and just go, Bella!”

Toby’s POV

It was ten forty five and Bella still wasn’t here yet. She was really pushing it. My mom, dad, sister, brother, and niece were all hanging out in the ‘Aircade’, the airport’s tiny arcade. We were spending Christmas with Bella’s family this year. Then, after, my family was going home to L.A. while I stayed behind in Florida to spend New Year’s with my amazing girlfriend.

I looked around the airport. It wasn’t what you’d think an airport would look like. It was kind of small; the security part was only a couple feet long and there were only two metal detectors. I guess a lot of people don’t leave Florida…

“Is she here yet?”

I turned my head to look at my niece Ciara.

“She’s on her way. Just chill.”

“Well, come play air hockey with me while we wait!”

I let Ciara drag me to the air hockey table, while I looked back, desperately hoping I’d see Bella running in. Of course, she was nowhere to be-