Epilogue

It was a busy morning where traffic clogged the streets at every intersection, pedestrians crowded the sidewalks, and Amos found himself rushing around to complete his tasks before meeting with his next student. The sun shone brightly in the periwinkle sky as its warm rays caressed everyone's skin with summer, and they all seemed to have the same idea of stopping by the local café for a jolt of energy.

However, it was turning into a bad idea as Amos stood in a snail's pace-of-a-line, checking his watch every few minutes and growing anxious while jiggling the loose change in his pocket. If the baristas didn't hurry, he'd be late for the next guitar lesson, and his sixty-year-old student didn't deserve that after paying him double the asking fee.

"I give up!" Amos muttered and stepped away from the line but froze when someone bumped into him, followed by the ice-cold cascade of a frappuccino down his back.

Sucking in a breath, he swallowed the expletive on the tip of his tongue and turned around. A wide-eyed woman stared at him, her mouth in the shape of an O.

"I'm so sorry." She reached out, shoving a napkin in his face. "It's all I've got, but I'll grab more!"

"Don't worry about it," he said and peeled off his sweater, exposing the tattoos on his arms.

"Wait. I know you," the woman said. "Amos, right?"

"Yeah..." Taking a good look at her, he took in the dark curly hair, sun-kissed skin, and warm brown eyes. It had been four months since he last saw her, but she was just as beautiful as the day he met her. "Emmy?"

"Yes!" With a smile from ear to ear, she threw her arms around him and squeezed. "My mom will be ecstatic when I tell her I bumped into you."

"Literally."

"I'm so sorry."

"No worries. This is my brother's sweater."

"Whoops."

"Seriously, it's alright. Nothing a little wash can't fix. Except, now I feel bad you stood in this long line, and your drink is on the floor and soaked into this sweater."

"It's ok. If I stand in line again, I'll be late to class."

"Yeah, I'm in a hurry too. Have to meet a student for a guitar lesson. So, shall I walk you out?"

"Sure, but only if you hold the door open."

"Always do. Don't let the tattoos fool you. I'm a gentleman." He winked.

"And why would I judge a man by his tattoos? You've met my dad." Emmy grinned.

"True," Amos said and held the door open, motioning for her to step through.

Outside, the birds chirped, and the trees lining the sidewalk rustled with the cool breeze. As they stood there, Emmy fumbled with her car keys, and Amos did the same. She was beautiful in the sunlight, with her dark curls tumbling down her shoulders and a floral cotton dress loosely hugging her curves. He couldn't help but stare.

"Well, it was nice seeing you again," she said. "I'll tell my parents you said hello."

"Have dinner with me," Amos blurted.

"Yes!" she replied, then slapped a hand to her mouth, giggling.

"Tonight?"

"Yes," she replied more calmly.

"We should probably exchange numbers so we can work out the details throughout the day."

"Good idea."

Pulling out their phones, they exchanged information over flirty glances and grins, and before parting ways, Emmy bounced up on tiptoes to plant a kiss on his lips. 

"Hey, that was supposed to be my move later tonight." Amos smiled.

"What can I say? I kinda like you, Amos."

"Well, I kinda like you too, Emmy."

"Good. Then I'll see you later." She squeezed his hand and began walking away, their arms stretching and their fingers lingering as if neither of them wanted to let go.

Eventually, their hands dropped, and Amos stood there, watching her as she tossed one final smile over her shoulder. He had only spent a few minutes with her, yet his heart already ached in her absence as he placed his hand over his chest. It had been five years since he last went on a first date, so he dialed Carlos to rave about his run-in with Emmy.

"You sound excited, bro. Wait until I tell Cass. I bet she'll want to double-date!"

"No double dates yet. Let me get a few dinners under my belt before we do that."

"Oh, so you're already thinking of future dates! You must really like her."

"You know what? I do. I don't know what it is, but I feel like I've known her forever."

"Well, I'm happy for you. You deserve a good woman, and Emmy sounds like a great one. Now hurry up and come home so you can tell mom all about her!"

"On my way."

And this time, as he drove, Amos knew, with absolute certainty, that the rest of his life would be fine.

Because even though it was early, he felt deep in his bones that Emmy was his, and he was hers.

~The End~

~~~~Before you go~~~~

I'm writing "Where Are They Now" chapters, so if you want to learn more, keep scrolling to the next chap!

Bonus chaps will include:
❤️Amos + Emmy
❤️Carlos + Cass
❤️Lorena
❤️Carmela + Ben
❤️Rodrigo

I haven't updated these in a while, but I still plan to write them! As soon as I complete my other book, The Divorceé Murder Club, I will jump back into this project. But for now, Amos + Emmy is available 🤗