three

SHE RUSHES TOWARDS THE main entrance of the Little Palace, having heard that Aleksander had arrived with the sun summoner. She had to see this so-called summoner with her own eyes. The King and Queen had already gotten word of the discovery and were expecting a demonstration.

"You'll be safe here.The palace is the most secure building in the whole country. I made sure of it."
She hears his voice before she even sees him, turning the corner and stopping as she watches them walk in her direction. Nyx raises an eyebrow as she sees the state of the girl, in a dirty red Kefta. He points towards the direction Nyx had come, making the girl follow, but immediately turn around when Aleksander stops.

"Where are you going?" The girl asks, making Nyx raise an eyebrow as she steps closer to Aleksander, catching the attention of the sun summoner.

"That is none of your business." Nyx says firmly, making Aleksander clear his throat and give her a look over his shoulder, silently telling her to not interfere. The girl straightens up, trying to look more intimidating, but in Nyx's eyes it makes her look more pathetic.

"Take her to the Vezda Suite." Aleksander simply says, making Nyx stiffen. He knew well enough that she wouldn't complain about it, not in front of all the people surrounding them.

"Am I prisoner?" The girl asks as she glances at the guards on both her sides. Nyx rolls her eyes, trying not to scoff.

"All of Ravka is. Until you and I have banished the Fold." He says, before nodding at Nyx to follow him as they step out. Not sparing the girl a single glance, the two walk away side by side.

"Would it be asking too much for you to explain what is going on? The Vezda Suite? My rooms? You and her? What happened to us?" Nyx snaps angrily, making Aleksander stop and turn to look down at her, causing her to halt in her steps.

"You're telling me you're mad because of a room? If you're so angry, how about you move into mine." He snarls, making her stiffen as she watches his dark eyes darken in annoyance. "Nyx, this is bigger than you. All you have to do is stand by my side. That's all. I'll let you have the Suite next to mine."

"I thought... the Fold, it would be you and me." She says honestly and he glances around, making sure no one is near, before taking a step closer. He brings his hand up and lets it rest where her jaw and neck meet.

"It is. And it always will be you and me. She's a child, she doesn't understand how important her role is." He explains, making her huff and lean into his touch.

"I don't like this, but I trust you." She says, taking his hand from her jaw and holding it. "So, why does she look like she had a one-on-one fight with a Volcra?"

"Ivan, Fedyor and her were ambushed by Fjerdans. It was best for me to ride back with her." He explains as they let go of each other's hand, before slowly starting to walk again. "Has the King said anything?"

"Nothing. He wishes to speak with you directly. You know how much he hates me." She points out and he chuckles softly, tugging his hands behind his back.

"It's because he can't have you." He reminds her and she rolls her eyes at him. "Have Genya assigned to Miss Starkov tomorrow. And I'd like a report on what happened while I was gone."

"Nothing to report. Other than I hate doing your work." Nyx grumbles, making Aleksander shake his head disapprovingly.

"For a second in command, you're extremely lazy." He muses and she shrugs nonchalantly, a smirk tugging at her lips.

"That's why I'm not in command." She points out and he raises an eyebrow as he glances down at her.

"Not because I'm the most powerful Grisha and you'd have to get through me?" He asks, making her scoff and shake her head.

"Don't kid yourself, Aleks. You're rare, but I can stop your heart before you could even summon the cut." She says confidently, before walking ahead. He chuckles softly, following her in the direction to the Grande Palace.

"You're quite odd, were you not mad at me just a second ago?" He asks, making her glance at him over her shoulder for a second.

"Who said I'm not mad anymore? I might just be good at hiding it." She says smugly, making him shake his head as he speeds up to catch up to her. Wrapping an arm around her waist, he leans down so that his lips are slightly brushing her ear.

"I know you better than you can imagine, darling." He says softly, making her breath hitch up and she tries not to show how affected she is by the close proximity. He drops his arm from her waist and straightens up. "Now be a good girl. The King is waiting for us."

"Right." She clears her throat and silently follows him.