[18] Vengeance

I was frozen in the same position, with my empty hand next to my face and my body turned towards Tarra.

Something about him was different.

Dreadfully different.

He was neither the "sweets-loving" nor the "tough guy" that I had thought I had began to know.

Beneath his eyes lurked something darker---something filled with overwhelming malice, anger, and hatred.

The moment our eyes met, I knew I had made a mistake in not making a run for it. Tarra lifted the enormous gun from beside him and aimed straight for me without a moment's hesitation.

I dove from the phonebooth, barely in time as a downfall of glass shards exploded from what was left of the phonebooth. The pieces showered down on me like acid rain as it split my bare, uncovered skin open. The few bystanders fled in horror at the sight in the opposite direction.

Tarra cursed to himself and began to walk closer, absolutely fixated on me. His footsteps were loud and thundering---I seemed to be able to hear them over all the other sounds of the city. It almost felt like everything besides him had come to a complete standstill---myself included.

I forced myself to my feet and ran in desperation, ignoring the throbbing sensation in my wrist and the exhaustion that threatened to overwhelm my legs. I was no match for him---anyone could see that. I had a handgun. He had a machine gun. I had used a freaking table to fight. He had years of experience, worked in the mafia group that specialized in terrorism and weapons. Not to mention the fact that he had set fire to the Sangria Estate successfully and managed to kidnap both Leon and I. 

He was not someone I could take lightly. To underestimate him would be detrimental. 

"God damnit---stop flitting around like a f*cking rat and die already, would you?" His emotionless, monotone voice made my skin stand on end. There was no trace of life in his voice.

What had happened? Besides the fact that he had had somehow managed to survive the warehouse incident, but to go out and hunt me down like this? If anything, he should have a grudge against Arc and Ares for busting us out. His attack this time definitely seemed to have a personal element to it. Just what had happened in that time frame? Where was Levi?

The blasting began again, and I lowered my head as I dove around the corner, rolling onto the pavement as I stumbled over a crack in the sidewalk. My ears were ringing by this point, and my sense of balance seemed off. The stinging pain covering my body was almost unbearable, but I forced myself to ignore it as I pressed on. I sprinted into the depths of another dark alleyway, dragging my sore and wounded body behind a large dumpster.

With a temporary moment of rest, I fell to the ground with a thud. My heart was racing in my chest, and my breath was uneven and came out in sputters. I had to grab a garbage can lid next to me to stop my hands from shaking uncontrollably. My heart was beating so loudly in my chest that I was afraid Tarra would somehow manage to hear it. I clutched the lid anxiously to my chest, trying to decide my next course of action.

At this rate, my heels are going to kill me before Tarra does. Lovely. I winced, rubbing my throbbing ankles. How was I supposed to know to bring spare sneakers? 

I didn't have a cellphone.  Alyssa was on her way, but time seemed a little short to wait for her.. This was no time to give the Viridian family an extra problem, considering Alyssa was probably (and hopefully) alerting Arc and Ares of the current situation. Leon was still in shambles.

I was on my own.

The sudden realization came over me like a violent wind---unsuspecting and leaving me with terrible chills. I really was alone this time. Completely alone.