11• Marriage? It's a Deal!

Comenzar desde el principio

"I haven't had my dinner either. Let's have it together, huh?" She held my arm and I looked at her. Her eyes hoped for me to agree and I gave a nod making her grin before pulling me to the dining hall.

"Sophie, can I ask you something?" I looked at her with hesitation and asked while we were both munching on the delicious food.

"Since when do you need my permission?" She smugly said and I kept my question forward. "You really aren't mad at me right? I mean, my marriage.." I didn't know how to put my thoughts in words but she understood what I meant.

"I am not mad at you, Adrien. Of course, when I heard the news, I was upset. I cried a lot. But now, no matter how much I cry, shout or yell, nothing can be changed. You are now married to Crystal." She said with a weak smile. Although she tried to sound convincing, I still had doubts.

"Sophie, I am sorry. I know I broke your heart. Everything happened in a blink of an eye and it was a lot for even me to take in." I explained.

Sophie shook her head and said, "I understand Adrien. I am sure the situation demanded for you to accept this marriage. You don't have to feel guilty or burdened. I have nothing against you."

"You aren't lying to me, right?" I confirmed and her eyes focused on the food.

"I won't lie to you, Adrien. It's true that I wanted to marry you. I fought with my fate for as long as I could because I wanted you. But even after my numerous attempts, when you couldn't be mine, I guessed you weren't meant for me in the first place. I have accepted it, Adrien." I exasperated with a glint of sadness in her eyes.

I sighed. "Sophie, you have the right to be upset with me."

This time she looked in my eyes and said, "And you have the right to have a good friend. And I will be that. Our friendship means everything to me. You are very important to me, Adrien." She said while grinning and I couldn't help but grin along.

I pulled out the fork out of her grip and held her hands in mine. "Sophie, you have no idea about the relief your words gave me. Thank you, thank you very much. I mean, I was so embarrassed that I didn't know how to talk to you." I said in a single breath.

"Sophie, you are my best friend and I don't want to lose you at any cost." I smiled at her and raised her hand to kiss her knuckles. She pulled out her hand with a smile.

"Enough of the emotional drama. Now, please have your food, you have barely eaten anything." She scolded me, like she always does. And I couldn't be happier to see my Sophie back.

We quietly ate for a few minutes before Sophie spoke again. "But there is one thing I am actually worried about." She said slowly.

"And that is?" I asked.

"You." I looked up at her answer. "I am worried about you getting entangled with someone who is with you for your money, once again."

I started to feel uneasy as the topic rose but I tried to act normal. "I don't understand." I said, averting my eyes.

"I don't want you to be around someone who is after your money, Adrien. I have seen you heart broken once and I cannot see it again." Sophie held my hand and said.

Why are we even talking about this?

"It's not how you think it is, Sophie." I replied, trying to brush off the topic.

"Come on, Adrien. Crystal decided to help you only because you offered her your money. She married you because she wanted the luxury that you have. Why else do you think she agreed to this." Sophie's arguments annoyed me.