Second Impressions (Prologue)

I came to a crossroads, pebbles between my toes, my bare feet burning on the asphalt.  It was so hot that day; I remember it so well.  The two roads looked the same to me:  long stretches of blacktop, white dotted lines running down the middle, green leaves dangling above threatening to tumble to the ground.

            I remember I’d paused just to take it all in, wondering if I would ever see anything as beautiful again.

            When I finally got my bearings and took that first shuffle forward, I changed.  That day, the day I ran away from home, changed me as a person.  I didn’t know it then; I was only seven.

            A seven year old couldn’t understand the future, couldn’t understand the concept at all.  A seven year old could imagine herself older, of course, but just couldn’t grasp the range of emotions that come with getting older.  A seven year old doesn’t worry per say, but she does feel simple emotions.  And the most important thing:  a seven year old doesn’t consider long term effects.

            As I took that fateful step forward, all I could think about was the fact that Murray Judd made fun of my Cinderella swimsuit at my YMCA birthday party.