Chapter 1: 2023

Sequel to Fatal Attractions

        The year is 2023. War has already hit the world with the apocalypse that came with the Sentinels—mechanically engineered beings that were programmed with the abilities to track, capture, or kill those with mutant genes as well as any human that dared aid them. Each mutant captured was destined to be marked with an 'M' scarred over their right eye and imprisoned for their very existence. Indeed, the world is a dark and desolate place left in ruins with no sign of recovery. Evolution, what was once meant to be a naturally occurring thing meant to happen in its own time, was feared by those scared of their own extinction, but they only destroyed their own world in their efforts to stop it.

        For the X-Men, they had no choice but to go into hiding. Those that have survived together remain hidden together. The wind rushes outside of their tower, a temple of sorts. The atmosphere is full of dark fog mixed with ashes like memories from their lost civilization. The clouds begin to spin and whirl as a black ship comes into view.

        It levitates to land on the stone balcony. Once it settles on its landing gear, the bottom of the ship gives out as its steps are lowered to the ground.

        Bishop is the first to approach, his gun at the ready. Out steps Storm, followed by Wolverine and Professor X in his own levitating chair. Close behind them is Magneto; the four of them wear the same black protective suits.

        Others join them from within the temple, but a very familiar face soon joins them from the yellow light burning from within the temple.

        "Professor!" Bobby Drake, or "Iceman" as most would call him, rushes down the steps when he realizes who he is seeing.

        Storm smiles before she meets him for a hug, almost as if to reassure each other that they're both alive, they have both made it. "Bobby," she says his name with fondness in her voice.

        "Hey, Storm." They stay like that for a moment before Bobby lets go of, turning to look at the others with relief in his eyes.

        "Hey, kid," Logan Howlett, or "Wolverine", greets him before Kitty Pride dashes out of the temple to join them.

        "Professor!" Kitty calls to him first as well, her own relief evident in her voice as she says, "You made it."

        Indeed, they had made it, and it was damned lucky that they had, too. Traveling such a great distance was never easy when the Sentinels traveled by the hundreds in carrier ships, but it was important. At least, in these dark times, it was.

        They are quick to shelter themselves inside the temple, and once there, Kitty begins her explanation of how they made it so long by themselves. "Whenever the Sentinels attack, Warpath spots them. Then I send Bishop back to warn us of the attack before it happens. Blink scouts the next site, and then we leave before they ever know we were there."

        "Because we never were," Warpath adds from across the room.

        "What do you mean you were never there?" Logan asks, a look of confusion over his features.

        Beside him, the Professor looks up as he understands from her thoughts. "She projects Bishop back a few days to warn the others of the coming attack."

        "So, she sends Bishop back in time?"

        "No, just his consciousness, into his younger self," the Professor goes on. "His younger body."

        Login raises his eyebrows. "Wow."

        Beside the Professor, Magneto murmurs, "This might just work, Charles."