CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE

The first night back at the Little Palace had not been the best for Liliya. She had spent most of it tossing and turning, unable to sleep or slow her mind down enough to lull into sleep. Somewhere between three and four am she had managed to drift off to some semblance of sleep but her body woke her up at half 5 as it always did.

Her eyes blinked open and it felt like she had only just gotten into bed. Her body rolled over and she adjusted on the mattress. It was comfortable against her back, better than what she had been sleeping on for the past week or so. However, she couldn't stay in bed. She wanted - and needed - to get up.

Most days when she was back at the Little Palace, she found herself up early and getting in some early morning training. When Botkin wasn't around, she did it on her own. Putting herself through paces, running across the grounds, sometimes even helping with the early morning cart-load if she happened to be passing the kitchens.

So that's what she proceeded to do. Putting on her loose clothes rather than her kefta and running around the grounds. The carts were pulling up to the kitchen as she passed by and she stopped, helping the best she could. She knew some of the servants from passing, their names at the back of her mind but they didn't speak that day. The second she had done carrying everything inside, she ran away. The sun slowly peeking the horizon as she ran across to the training building.

There was the large area where most of the training took place but there were multiple smaller training rooms where the older Grisha trained whenever they had the time or wanted to. It was usually used when two people were training together but there was also a punching bag which meant she could at least work on her own.

It wasn't long until she was throwing punches at the bag. Her anger slowly began to trickle back in as she threw the punch. Each one getting harsher and she only realised after a little over five minutes that she should wrap her hands. She stepped back from the bag and turned on her heels, crossing over to the cupboard on the other side of the room.

She tapped her fingers against the edge of the door as she looked over the shelves. Her eyes trying to spot the bandages and after a bit of searching, she pulled them out. She then proceeded to wrap her hands as the sun leaked into the room. The rays creating long shadows along the floor and it was the shadows that gave away Ivan's entrance.

"Hey," Liliya said as she finished with her hands. She stretched her hands out, ensuring that they were done well enough. Pleased with her efforts, she threw the bandage wrap into the cupboard before crossing back to the punching bag.

"I expected to find you here," Ivan said as he glanced over at the large windows. The practicality of the windows s was questionable - at best - but it meant that they trained in natural light and saw others much more clearly so nobody questioned it. Liliya watched as his shadow trailed closer to her. One eye on him, the other on the punching bag as she threw them.