Chapter 8

* Danica *

I walked through the library , my fingers finding the shelves easily . I never knew what I was missing in this place ! I sat down at a table with a book about Native American ledgends and skimmed through them , finding them interesting . It was amazing what people's imaginations could do . It really was . But something about these ledgends were different and there was something going on here in Forks . I decided to take a walk to the reservation and see if there were any bookstores or anything that would help me figure this out . I walked out of the library and stayed on the trail by the side of the road until I got to the sign that said " Quileute Native American Reservation " . I smiled to myself and clutched the book I'd been reading to my chest , pulling my bag up on my shoulder as I walked through the streets , seeing one of the guys that had been there when Kathleen had hurt herself . I guess he recignized me because he walked over to me . 

" You're Bella's cousin's friend , right ? " he asked  .

I nodded shyly and looked down at my feet . 

" I'm Danica West . " I said , extending my hand as I looked up again .

The guy smiled a warm smile .

" Embry Call . Was there something you were looking for ?" he asked , curiously . 

" I was just wondering about you history here . And I wanted to see why Kathy keeps showing up here . " I explained. 

" I think Kathleen comes here for the beach . And the history ? That's a new one. " he said , scratching his head .

I shrugged.

" The beach it is . Thanks . " I muttered , clutching my books tighter as I started walking towards the beach .

After a few seconds , Embry ran up to me , catching up with me .

" Uh , I can show you where it is . " he said , running a hand through his hair.

I blushed bright pink and nodded shyly .

" Sure . Thanks ." I said, quietly .

He nodded and slid his hands in his pockets , walking alongside me .

"  So , let me guess . You're from the East Coast too ? " he asked .

" Yeah. I'm from Pennsylvania actually . My family moved to Rosedale when I was 11 and I met Kathy . We've been best friends ever since . " I explained , running a hand through my hair .

He smiled. 

" That's cool . Jacob and I are best friends like that. " he said .

" Jacob ? " I asked ,suspecting it was the guy that had brought Kathy to the hospital .

" He was the one that found Kathleen in the woods . " Embry said awkwardly .

I nodded , happy that I'd been right .

" That was nice of him . " I said .

Embry chuckled .

" He kind of had too . He feels like he has to protect her . "

I laughed .

" Is that even possible ? " I asked .

" I know . They don't know eachother . Kathleen probably thinks Jake is a creeper or something , finding her out in the woods like that . " Embry said , laughing harder .

I shook my head .

" I meant the whole " protecting her " thing . She's a danger magnent . "  I said .

Embry shook his head . 

" Seems like it . "

" Well , next time you see him , thank him for me . Without Kathleen , my life would lack entertainment . " I said , giggling .

He chuckled .

" I will . Believe me I will . " he said , looking at me for a moment longer .