Taking a position against the wall, he waited. He would step in only if needed, no need to show his hand too early. That would not do at all. Alfred stuttered a moment before standing to his full height. “I have no idea what you are talking about. You think I had something to do with this male’s misfortune?”

“You were the one to set up the meeting. You were the one to tell Robert and Artair the information. And you were the one who came from bloody England. So I would like to know why.” Still so quiet, Alfred’s voice was thunderous in comparison. He looked a little lost for a short moment, as Kendrick’s words sank in fully.

“I have no idea who was in that house. I have no idea what sort of grudges Robert has against him. And to say he is not well liked seems to be an understatement from what I have gathered…”

A disbelieving grunt came from Robert’s direction, but was ignored by everyone else within the room.

“Any of the ‘bloody English’ may have taken exception to him and decided to teach him a lesson…” he trailed off. Rubbing his large spade like hands over his face, roughly. When he finally showed his face once more, he looked haggard and older than ever. But his expression as resigned. Turning slightly to direct his words to Artair as he continued speaking. “I know Rohesia has told you a little of her life in England. But I have no idea to what detail she went. If this is about Rohesia, and from your reactions I think this is, then it can only be her uncle and mother who have sent these men here. They are most likely to find her, and in the best case to bring her back, no matter how much pain they have to cause her to convince her to go. If she causes too much trouble, I would believe they have orders to kill her if they cannot take her by force or coercion.”

Robert spluttered a gasped response. And both Artair and Kendrick wanted to cause him severe pain. They both knew interrogation worked better when the only time they talked was to ask a vital questions. Robert obviously had never had to gain information this way before. Or if he had, he had failed miserably. “You mean her own kin want her dead or severely hurt. I doubt that very much. Especially a mother, how could you think that of the fairer sex?”

Alfred spun on the male in a tower of concentrated fury. Taking looming steps until he stood directly over Robert, Alfred really was a terrifying sight to behold. “You have no idea of what you speak. Her mother and Uncle were the reason she fled. What they had planned for her would turn your stomach, and the way she has been treated for being damaged is appalling. Her father tried his best to keep her from her mother. But the woman always had a way to punish her daughter for one thing or another, as a mother should, she would say. But the real reason was because her daughter had the misfortune to wake up from near death with the loss of her hearing. Every moment in the presence of her mother from then on Rohesia lived in constant fear of being reprimanded for the smallest slight, and the punishment was always severe. So do I believe these men are sent by her mother and uncle? I do not know. Do I think it possible? With everything in me, yes I do.”

His breathing was heavy as he turned and faced Kendrick and Artair once more. Summarily dismissing Robert once more. “I do not know where you will find them, or when they came, or even how far they are from finding her. What I do know is…she needs to leave the city and be lost. It is the only way for her to survive this.”

Artair looked over to Kendrick and did not like the look he sent him. “The snow would make disappearing almost impossible, and with her condition we could not make it far, quickly.” He saw the truth of his words as Kendrick knew it as much as he did.

“Aye I agree…but you have to try. There is somewhere I know. Not too far from the city, but it may be your best chance. You can lay low there, and as soon as the snow begins to thaw you run as fast as you can north ward.”

Artair rubbed his brow as he thought over Kendrick’s words. “Alfred, you really think they will kill her if they cannot take her any other way.” He was pleading and he knew it, but could not help the note in his voice.

World weary and worn, Alfred sat heavily in a chair and placed his head in his hands. “Aye, I very much do. You need to take her and keep her safe. You have to give her the chance she deserves.” Seeing the strong male crumple so hit home the true severity of this conversation.

“I will give you directions and send a messenger to let them know you are coming. You need to leave at night fall.”

Artair looked at his friend, and nodded. Grateful that he was here, and was making up for lost time by helping instead of hindering now. “Aye, Kendrick. My thanks.” He stood straight and looked over the males in the room. “I need to speak with Rohesia.” With a nod to Alfred he quickly strode from the room. How was he going to tell all of this to the one woman who deserved none of this at all?