Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

"Please tell me you're kidding." I said, as Harry stuck the star up on the tree.

"I'm definitely not." I watched as he climbed down from the ladder and stood beside it. I pressed my lips into a thin line and frowned. 

"But it's Christmas Eve."

"I know babe, I'll be back tonight." 

"Okay." I sighed. He planted a swift kiss on my lips and grabbed his jacket. 

"See ya tonight!"

I felt an emptiness cover the room when he left. He never left like this. I know Uncle Hal wouldn't ever have a 'quick meeting' on Christmas Eve. Worry filled the pit of my stomach. I walked over to the couch and sat down, contemplating following him, but decided against it. 

The kids went to bed a couple of hours ago. I looked at myself in the reflection of the television. I was 35 years old now. Annabelle was now 15 years old. Charlie was ten. 

I glanced at the shelf above the fireplace. Picture frames were everywhere. There were a few from our wedding. I smiled at the memory. A couple were from Disneyland, and the rest were pretty random. 

"Mom."

I turned around to see my little girl walk into the den.

 "Yes?" I asked, watching as she sat down beside me.

"Where's dad?"

"He had a quick meeting. He'll be back soon." I promised, hoping that I could believe my own words.

She quirked an eyebrow, "A meeting? On Christmas Eve?"

I sighed through my nose, and shook my head. "It's about 12 at midnight. You need to go to bed."

"Mom." Annabelle scoffed, "It's not like Santa's real or anything."

"You quit believing, you quit receiving." I shot back, with a playful finger.

She rolled her eyes and stood up. "I'm not tired, but okay. Night mom, love you. Ready for the new car you'll give me tomorrow." 

"Goodnight Annabelle." I said in a sing-song voice.

She cackled as she walked down the hall.

I walked into the kitchen and made myself some hot chocolate. I wasn't planning on going to bed until Harry got back. It was now 2:30 in the morning. I was losing hope that Harry might actually come back. I stopped dead in my tracks. Harry wouldn't leave me? I shook my head. No, that was stupid. Harry wouldn't leave me. We love each other. I bit my lip and sat down on the couch, turning the TV on. 

"Breaking news, a black Mercedes crashed into a large Ford truck an hour ago. More at 3."

My heart sunk, and my mug crashed to the ground, shattering. The contents spilled all over the floor, but I didn't care. There was only one thing on my mind.

Harry drove a black Mercedes.

I checked on my kids, seeing as though they were both asleep. I ran over to Annabelle's bed, waking her.

"Mom?" She asked, sleepily.

"Will you be all right while I go out real quick?"

"What happend?" She asked, up and alert.

"Nothing, everything's fine." I lied to my daughter.