Chapter Sixty-seven

Chapter Sixty-seven

-

At first, Luke thought there was a party going on at Ashton's house. There was music playing, and there were people in almost every room.

But they were all just his roommates - and his roommate's friends and girlfriends, and now a boyfriend. Ashton introduced him to all of them. "This is my boyfriend Luke." Each time he smiled tensely and knew that he would never remember all of their names.

Then the curly haired boy led her up a staircase that shot out to many different hallways. Luke hated that fact that the staircase was so narrow and he couldn't walk by Ashton's side anymore. He felt unsafe in a house surrounded by drunk, rowdy young men,

Ashton stopped at turned, awkwardly, holding onto a door handle. "Luke," he grinned "I have officially gotten you to my room."

"Who knew it was so far away?" Luke laughed jokingly, panting slightly from a lot of stairs which he had just climbed.

He opened the door behind him, then took both his hands, pulling him up and in.

The room was small, with a narrow window which was slightly open. There was no light on the ceiling, so Ashton had to turn on a lamp which was on his bed side table. It was only just a room with a bed and a rather old looking chair.

He looked up and around. "We're at the very top of the house, aren't we?"

"Servants' quarters," he revealed, reflecting back on history. "I was the only willing one to climb the stairs.

Luke shifted nervously, and the floor creaked beneath her. Ashton's bed was unmade, an old looking quilt was thrown over it, pillows in disarray.  He straightened the quilt and picked up a pillow off of the floor.

Luke could hear the wind whistling in the window frames. "I bet it gets cold up here-"

"And hot in the summer," Ashton said "Are you thirsty? I could make tea. I should have asked while we were down stairs.

"I'm fine," Luke said.

Where Ashton was standing, his curly locks brushed the ceiling. "Do you mind if I change, I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable about your body or anything?"

"Sure, go ahead," Luke smiled.

Whilst Ashton searched his draws for some cleaner and more comfier clothes, Luke scanned the room. running his fingers along the old chair. The room was worse than he thought, Dark. Remote. It seemed basically enchanted.

He took off his coat and set it on the bed, he tugged off his soggy vans and put her legs up on the seat. If he held his breath, he could hear Bon Jovi quietly blaring at least two floors below.

Ashton was back before Luke was ready for him. He was now wearing a carry green flannel and black jeans. Luke thought it was a nice colour on him. It made his face tan and his hair yellow and his mouth pink. He sat down on the bed next to her- he knew he would. There was no room in this room for personal space.

He picked the blondes to hand up off the couch and held it loosely in both of his, looking down at it, then running his fingertips along the back, up and down his thin fingers.

He took a deep breath. "How did you end up living here?"

"I worked with Gareth and he told me his old roommate had moved out, I was living with my mum, brother and sister and I wanted some more independence. I don't mind the stairs."

Luke nodded. The more that Ashton touched his hand, the more than it tickled.

"Feel nice?" he asked, looking up at the younger boy. Luke nodded again.