15. The Quarterback

Start from the beginning

I let out an even longer sigh. Maybe we should ask our biology teacher if it was all right for us to change our subject after all. Maybe we could follow the hedgehogs in my backyard. Or maybe Max should just find a new partner. I'd only drag him down with me if he continued being my partner.

When the class was dismissed, I followed others into the locker room. I grabbed my bag while Max and Troy were changing clothes and tried to sneak out before they noticed me. But of course, I didn't have such luck because I forgot to focus on where I was going – again.

I turned to see if Max would notice me leave, but he'd stepped behind lockers. Only a mere second later, I walked straight into someone who was trying to get into the room.

"Watch where you're going, dimwit!" that someone hissed at me.

I froze in fear when I realized it was Luke, the biggest of them all. I tried to mutter my apologies, but he was too pissed to listen. He grabbed me by the collar of my shirt, lifted me up from the ground, and pushed me hard against the lockers. I didn't understand that I'd hit my head on the door. It was happening so fast.

And my bad luck didn't end there. I was alone with him behind the last row of lockers, where no one could see us. No one seemed to even hear us. If they did, they stayed out of it. I was scared of Luke, and I was sure he'd hit me. He clearly hated my guts, but I couldn't understand why.

"I'm s-sorry," I whispered.

"Hit me with those fucking sticks one more time, and I swear, there will be nothing left of you for the coroners to identify," Luke growled, and to my surprise, he let go of me.

When my legs hit the floor, I lost my balance and fell. Luke was already marching away from me as I took the first shaky breath, and I didn't even have time to get up when I heard footsteps already approaching me.

"Sky?" Max called for me, and he stepped around the corner just when I got back on my feet. "Why are you hiding here?" he asked.

"Oh, I uh... There... there was a spider," I said with a shrug, trying to act like nothing had just happened, even though I was still full of fear.

"Oh Lord..." Max muttered and retreated towards the door.

I tried to smile at his reaction, but I was still shivering. My ankle was hurting more from the impact, and I couldn't really understand what had even happened.

"What's wrong?" Max asked, walking to me. "You look like you saw a ghost."

"No, no, I'm fine," I said, faking a smile.

"Are you sure? You don't seem fine," Max spoke with a worried frown.

"Let's just go," I said, taking a firm grip on my crutches.

"Sky?" Max's voice was even more worried when he continued, "You know you can talk to me about anything."

"I'm serious, nothing's wrong," I said, trying to move faster.

"Why would something be wrong?" I heard Troy's voice right behind me.

"I said I'm fine!" I sighed in frustration.

I didn't want to tell them about Luke. I was afraid he'd only get more pissed at me. Besides, he was Max's friend. If Luke denied scaring me, Max would believe him. He'd think I was lying to him. On the other hand, if he believed me, things could get bad between them, and I didn't want Max to be mad at any of his friends because of me. I didn't even know the reason why Luke did what he did.

"Sky?"

"I am fine," I said. "My ankle is just hurting," I continued, hoping they'd leave me alone, but apparently that wasn't going to happen.