twenty four: the handcuffs

He talked a lot, but I just kept my head down. That's his punishment for locking me to the table, I guess. I wasn't listening to a word he was saying, as he just continued talking. I was still thinking about what Janson had said, and how that linked to what Thomas had seen.

If Thomas never mentioned Janson, then they must have never worked together. Which means that I was not a part of the maze production. So, what was my role in this whole operation then?

"Y/N!" Lynch yelled directly in my face, desperately trying to pull me out of my own thoughts. It worked as I grumbled back at him. I noticed he was about to say something, so out of pure spite, I cut him off.

"Did you offer Thomas and Teresa this deal, or am I just the lucky one?" I spat but still keeping a hint of sarcasm with my words. He narrowed his eyes at me and put his hands together on the table. "None of your fucking business." He spoke calmly, but his words were so angry. A massive change of pace from how he was when he first arrived.

And just like him, I became angry. My outrage threatened to spill over as I wanted to stand up to yell, but then remembered I was still bolted to the table. I can make do with sitting down and yelling, I guess. "Yeah? Well, I'd say it definitely is my fucking business, when you idiots steal my memories and put me in that-"

I didn't even get to finish my sentence before I felt a sharp gust of pain sweep across my cheek. It was momentarily paralysing as I turned my head back towards the man, completely stunned. His face was red and filled with outrage as he slowly sat back down in his seat. I could feel the sting in my face, but I refuse to let my hand go up and comfort the pain; any sign of weakness and I'm done for.

I felt a very small trickle of something fall down my cheek; I wasn't crying, so it must be blood. I didn't even realise he had hit me that hard as I stayed still, keeping my expression blank. Surprisingly, his eyes softened as he stood up and sat on the edge of the table to face me.

"I'm sorry. I didn't really want to do that, but you know I had to." He was lying. He didn't have to do that at all.

But as time went on, things were clearer. I had to get out of here, as the others are in danger.

After realising I wasn't going to respond, he sighed quietly and turned away. Just before he did, my voice grabbed his attention. "Hey." I said quietly, as his body turned back to me in a quick motion. Now was my time to move, I might not get another chance.

As soon as he was fully facing me, I stood up as much as I could and grabbed the back of his neck, forcefully slamming his head into the metal table.

Luckily for me, he was out cold, as I watched the man lay lifeless on the ground, blood gushing from his face. That was much easier than I thought it was going to be as I shrugged and bent down next to the unconscious man. He must have the key, otherwise him being knocked out was pointless.

I searched through his pockets and finally felt a small metal key. I exhaled loudly and swiveled around to my left hand. They key worked, thank god.

I quickly removed the hand cuff and looked around the room for anything that I could use to help me. Besides chairs and a table, there was nothing.

Until I saw a vent. How did I not notice it before? Tucked away nicely in the opposite corner of the room. I ran over to it, examining the sides. I didn't have much time, so instead I chose the method I thought would work best. I kicked it inwards. It was surprisingly frail and luckily didn't make much noise.

I scrambled through on my hands and knees, not really sure what I was looking for, but instead just desperate to escape. I didn't know where I was, as I hurried through the vents as I turned a corner to hear a bunch of different noises.

It was people arguing. I stayed as quiet as I could to try to determine who the voices belonged to, and luckily for me, I knew exactly who it was.

It was Minho, Newt and Frypan all bickering over something I couldn't quite make out. I stumbled forwards as I headed in the directions of their voices, before finally I found the vent opening, I needed.

The closer I got, the more I could hear as I was finally able to decipher what they were individually saying.

"I think he's crazy."

"Really? When was the last time he was wrong?"

"If he's right, we have to go and get Teresa and y/n."

"Where even are they?" Just as Frypan finished his question, I popped my head out of the already opened vent. "I'm right here, idiots." I said, trying to sound jokey while actually it probably wasn't the time for it.

All three of them immediately rushed to my side to help me up as the others around us jumped up from their beds. "Oh my god, where the hell have you been?" Minho asked before his face fell completely.

I didn't get why he looked at me like that for a second, but then I remembered that my face was still bleeding.

"Y/n..." Newt approached me fully as he cupped my cheek in his hand. He looked concerned but I could still see a bit of relief in his eyes. "What happened?" My shoulders relaxed slightly as he held my face, his thumb delicately brushing over my cheek.

The entire room stood around us now, waiting for my response as I shook them off. "Not the time." I said defiantly. "We have to go. Now."

His hand fell from my face as they all stood back looking confused. "First Thomas, now you? What is going on?" I looked around for the boy, but he wasn't there. Neither was Teresa, but that I kind of assumed.

"Where is Thomas and Teresa?" I ignored his question as I turned back to the group.

"Teresa is still having tests and Thomas just ran through the vents." Newt said, the worry still prominent in his face. "Y/n, what is going on?"

Shit. They have Teresa. 

-

A/N: Ooo mysterious ;) Hope you guys are enjoying so far and I'm sorry if my uploads are going to be a bit slow, I have exams coming up so finding time to write is getting harder, however, I have some pre written chapters and will post those as often as i can <33