THIRTY-NINE

Since Olivia's relapse, things have been slowly feeling like they were going back to normal

Since Olivia's relapse, things have been slowly feeling like they were going back to normal. One of those things being the homecoming dance. Which was way better than last year's homecoming dance meaning no drunken outbursts on stage. Being that it was senior year that now meant that the seniors were able to win homecoming queen and king. Aaliyah and JJ being Beverly High's favorite couple besides a few ups and downs the couple had they were obviously nominated and won. After the dance, the group went over to the cafe like they usually did just to hang out and play some pool.

"Okay, this is gonna be bad," Jordan whispered, leaning over the table to look at Asher and Aaliyah. "It'll be fine," Aaliyah said, trying to convince herself more than him.

"We're gonna hear about this every day for the rest of our lives," Jordan complained.

"I think you're overreacting," Asher told him.

"Do you guys remember 10 years when Shaq came to his birthday party?" he asked.

"He reminded me about that yesterday," Aaliyah groaned.

"Gentlemen and my lady!" JJ yelled walking into the cafe and approaching the three at the table. "I know. I know what you guys are thinking, alright? You're worried that this great honor bestowed upon by our peers will change me. But I will always be the same JJ y'all remember."

"Hey, babe," Aaliyah grinned, reaching her hand up to pinch his cheek. "The dance is over. Take the crown off. Now."

"The dance may be over but my reign has just begun!" he yelled. "Yo! Spencer James is in the house! Ooh, looking good! Oh, where's your, uh—Where's your crown?"

"Oh, I didn't win," Spencer laughed.

"What? What—What loser beat you out?" JJ asked.

"He did," Spencer said pointing at Chris. "Who won queen?" he asked curiously.

"Who else," Aaliyah scoffed, flipping her hair behind her back. "It's a little corny to wear your crown after the dance, though," she said eyeing her boyfriend.

"See! That's what I said," Chris exclaimed.

"Hey, Li. Can we talk outside?" Asher asked, pointing his thumb towards the door. "Sure," she hummed, exchanging a worried look with her brother before following him outside. "What do you want, Ash?" she asked, rocking on her heels and shoving her arms into the sleeves of JJ's suit jacket that he had given her earlier.

Asher let out a deep sigh. "I thought we were over everything that happened last year. Plus, you and JJ are back together...So, why does it feel like you've been doing everything your power to avoid me?"

"I am over everything that happened. And you're right, I have been avoiding you. But, that's only because Liv told me that you might have feelings for me...Obviously, I don't know if that's true or not but—"