Here We Are part 6

Sunlight burned against my eyelids, coloring them crimson gold.

I blinked my eyes open slowly, squinting against the sun streaming in from the window. I reached my arm up to move my bangs out of my eyes, wincing as my arm throbbed in protest. A hiss escaped from between my teeth. I’d forgotten how it hurt…

My gaze fell on a folded piece of white paper on the pillow next to me. I gingerly reached out to take it, biting my lip against the pain. I unfolded the tiny square, smiling as I saw Lucas’s tidy handwriting.

Theo,

Mom made me go to school. I was going to wake you up to say bye, but you looked like you needed sleep. Mom had to go to work, but she said to tell you to call her when you wake up. I’d do it as soon as you finish reading this- she’ll be having a heart attack until you do. Take it easy, try and eat, and I’ll see you as soon as I get home.

I love you,

Lucas

I tucked the note in my pocket and glanced at the clock, my mouth dropping open. Was it really already two? I’d slept all day! I lunged for the phone, yelling as my arm erupted with pain. I frantically dialed Mrs. T’s cell.

“Hello? Theo?”

“Mrs. T! I’m sorry, I just woke up, I didn’t mean to make you worry-“

“Theo, honey, it’s alright. I wasn’t expecting you to wake up early anyway. Now, I want you to go downstairs and eat something. There should be bagels in the fridge. Promise me you’ll eat something?”

“You got it, Mrs. Thomason.”

“That’s my boy. I’ll see you when I get home.”

“Okay. Bye.”

“Goodbye, sweetheart.”

I placed the phone on the bedside table and slid out of bed, trying to limit the movement in my arms. I padded downstairs in my boxers and t-shirt, yawning as I went down the stairs.

I walked down the hallway to the kitchen. I stepped in and my heart stopped, my blood running cold.

“Thought you got away from me, didn’t you, Ted?”