XXVI; nightmares and dreams

♤ ♧ ♡ ♢

♤ ♧ ♡ ♢

   They had been sailing for two weeks without any sight of land. The crew started to become grumpy and they stopped believing they will ever reach the desired destination. With their drop of faith, the faith in their king diminished too. The Captain also believed that now they still had time to turn back while they still had two weeks' worth of rations but Caspian was determined to continue and find Ramandu's island. The constant rocking of the ship on the high waves didn't help with all of it all.

   Idalia felt more ill than ever and everyone took notice, well everyone but Caspian since he was busy with overthinking. And it was better that way, Idalia tried every single way to avoid telling Caspian she's pregnant, the longer on this voyage he doesn't know the easier they will reach the goal. Then she will tell him. But there were times when Idalia sat in the cabin with the maps, on the leather seats watching the rough seas out the window and wished Caspian would be there beside her whispering soft comforting words to her and both would be dreaming about their family's future.

   But that wasn't the case and it wouldn't be even if she told him, because once he would find out he would do everything in his power to make Idalia stay away from the adventures and in an extreme case he would send her home in one of the longboats. The Captain was just in the middle of explaining his annoyance to Caspian and Edmund about where they were sailing when Idalia's mind returned to the room she was in and she started listening to the conversation. She tore her eyes away from the dark sea to see a scowl on Drinian and a look of annoyance on Caspian who was looking at Edmund when he said something about sea serpents.

   ''I'm just saying the men are getting nervous. These are strange seas we're sailing, the likes of which I've never seen before.'' Drinian continued, his every word centred at the king.

   ''Then perhaps, Captain, you would like to be the one to explain to Mr Rhince that we're abandoning the search for his family.'' Caspian stood up abruptly, anger started settling in his voice. ''Or Idalia's family.'' He turned around and motioned with his hand to Idalia who was still sitting at the leather seats.

   Idalia locked eyes with the Captain and he gave her such a harsh look that she dared not to speak even one word. Drinian was already pissed enough and he was just trying to get some of his captain sense into Caspian which wasn't working, he didn't need a girl telling him anything else too. The Captain then said he'll get back to it and said another few words of warning before exiting the cabin to get out at the wet docks.

   This was supposed to be a men's meeting but Idalia didn't feel like moving when they barged into the cabin and she dreaded to go out on the docks so she stayed put and only half-listened to what all they talked about. Her eyes flickered from the windows to Caspian who was running his hands through his hair in frustration. Edmund didn't look half as bothered but it could be seen he was sick of the rough sailing so far. Caspian leaned on his hands on the table that contained all the maps and flickered his eyes over it one more time.