Chapter 24 On The Run

Kate's POV

As the weeks passed, I started to get used to my regular life. I started to exercises more. Everything went back to the way it was but......I still missed my mom. It still feels like if it had been since yesterday the last time I saw her. 5 years later, that means I'm 22? The odd thing is that I was still looked like I was 17. How could I have not grown older like Elena and Damon. One day, Drew took me to the doctor and he could not figure out why I did not develop since technically I'm 22 but stuck in a 17 year old body. But that didn't matter, as long as I was alright and I was close to the people I love, I'm fine. There is one goal that I do want to complete before I die because I'm pretty sure life won't give me a second chance. I wanted to tell Drew and Elena but.....I don't think they would agree. But there's something that keeps on telling me that Damon is going to come back. That he is going to find me and kill me. But I won't and will not die in vain without killing him first. He killed my mom and I will never forgive him for doing that. My mother was all I ever had in my life. She was my hero and he took her away from me. I grabbed my blue Nike's and headed out the door, nobody was home, they all left to work since they both majored in already in a job. Obviously I would also be working but since I don't have a job and I haven't majored in anything....well....I'm stuck here. I grabbed my keys and locked the door. I started to run through the neighborhood. The same route I always take. I started to feel the sensation that someone was following me. I have not felt that since we went to Six Flags. Was it Damon? My heart stopped and that's when I stopped running. I looked around and body was there.

"Do not doubt yourself." said Alex as she appeared right in front of me and the disappeared in the wind. I did not move. I had to get home. Somehow. I know I wouldn't recognize Damon anymore because he is probably almost in his earlyish 20's and I know for sure he would recognize me.

"Run!" yelled Alex as she appeared again. I started to run without looking back. I shouldn't go home, if I go home, Damon would find out where we live now. I cannot put Elena's and Drew's life in danger. Whether it was Damon's was following me or not, I had to listen to Alex. I know it sounds crazy that you are able to talk to spirits....well...I wasn't speak to her, it was more of my mind that called her and she appeared. I was lost in my mind that I realized I ran up to the city. I remember that Drew told me he was going to talk to the manager of the Hilton hotel. So I decided to enter. The receptionist was talking to some guest. I was waiting impatiently. I kept on looking around but nobody was looking start at me. Nothing seemed suspicious yet. Finally, it was my turn.

"Excuse me Miss, is Drew Kingsbury here yet?" I asked

"Yeah, he's here, are you looking for him?" asked the receptionist as she grabbed the phone, I believe she was dialing, "What's your name again?"

"Kate, his girlfriend." the girl looked at me with a questioning look. I just stood there, half smiling, this was awkward. Did I really look that young to be Drew's girlfriend? Geez.....now I understand why mom would used to always say that 5 years can make a huge difference.

"Yes, Nate, can you please tell Mr. Kingsbury that his ......girlfriend is waiting in the lobby for him.......alright...thanks Nate."

Wow.....that took her long to say that I was his girlfriend.

"He will be with you in just a minute." smiled the girl and went back to her computer. I waited in the sofa when suddenly I felt someone poke my neck. I jumped and I could imagine how my face was probably white.

"Hey babe......what's-" but that's when Drew knew there was something wrong..

"Come with me." he said as he grabbed my hand. We went back to the receptionist.

"Mr. Kingsbury, how can I help you?"

"Yeah um, can we get a room." asked Drew. The receptionist eye's were wide open. I couldn't help it but to laugh, it was to easy to tell what she was thinking. She probably thought that Drew was a very weird man who dated younger teenage girls.

"So......" said Drew looking at the receptionist giving her a very seriously look, I believe he got the message as well. He was offended. He knows that I am the same age as him but like I said before.......purity for becoming an adult, hasn't hit me yet.

"Oh, I'm very sorry Mr. Kingsbury, here you, your our guest for today so there is no need to pay for anything. You can stay here as long as you want." said the receptionist as she handed Drew the card to the room.

"Let's go." said Drew as we walked hand and hand to the elevator. We were going to level 10 which was pretty high. He got out the card and swiped it. The door open.

"Ladies first." he said as he gestured me to go inside. I smiled and went in. He closed the door and checked if nobody else was coming.

"It's all clear. Now, what's wrong what is it?" he asked. I started to walk at the direction of the window, my heart started to beat faster and faster. Drew followed me. He was closer to me and I could feel his warmth that always made me feel safe. I turned around to face Drew.

"It's Damon......he's coming after me.But I think I'll kill him before he kills me. I won't let him get away with it again." I said as I looked deep into Drew's eye's. Then we started to hear something. It was someone screaming. It sounded like the receptionist.

"Where is Kate and Drew Kingsbury!' yelled Damon. I heard him. He's here. My heart dropped.

Drew looked at the little tiny hole that the door had. Drew quickly turned around and grabbed me.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"We are going to the roof access." he said as he open the window and pulled down a ladder. I went first without thinking and started to go up.

"Just keep on going, don't look back, I'm right next to you." said Drew. We were on top of the roof now. The wind was blowing on our faces.

"Kate!" yelled Damon. He was getting closer. He knew we were running away from him. There was no other way to go but to jump to the other building and that was impossible. Drew looked at me. He grabbed my hand.

"Do you trust me?" he asked. I kissed him. " I trust you."