Chapter 2 - The Tour

Picture on the side is the white dress Anya wears in District 1 :)

---------------------------

The tour seems to fly by. Every day follows practically the same plan: wake up on the train, arrive in next district, prepare for and take part in ceremonies and speeches, occasionally take a tour of some of the surrounding areas, prepare for dinner party, attend dinner party, board train to the next district.

It's quite draining, actually. Both physically and mentally. Physically because it's such a jam-packed week full of all sorts of activities and social events and mentally because we have to see the families of all the tributes who died. It's especially hard when we come to the districts of the tributes I killed. Seeing their families standing there, distraught, is almost too much for me to handle. No doubt they are imagining how different it could have been if their own son or daughter was standing in my place, receiving medals and wreaths of honour from every district; being congratulated by thousands of people who we all know don't really care.

Every day I think of this and every day the guilt washes over me. I cheated. If Thorne hadn't told me about the arena, that it was in fact the forest beyond the fence of District 12 that we had spent practically every day of our childhood exploring, maybe the other tributes would have had a greater chance at victory. I knew all the secrets of those woods; all the paths and the best hiding places. Of course, these people don't know that. But that doesn't stop the guilt from plaguing me at night.

As grateful as I am for his help, I can't help but worry that by the end of this, Thorne and I will both regret making the decisions we did in those two weeks from hell. The President will find some horrible way to punish me, and he'll probably be dragged into it too. Could I have survived on my own? Probably not.

This morning, we finally arrived in District 1 - the final district before the Capitol and before we start our journey home. The train slows to a stop in the station as I pull my hair into a ponytail and slip on some shoes. Out of habit, I make my way to the main door of the train and await the call to step outside. It comes before long and the doors slide quickly open, revealing a gleaming white train station packed with people who I assume are the most important members of District 1. I smile and wave to them, as I have done many a time on this tour, and step out of the train to be escorted to the Justice Building.

Once there, Lavendar once again hands me a simple black suit bag containing my outfit for the speech. I slip into the simple white dress and matching heels before my prep team brushes my hair and curls it slightly so that it falls gently over my shoulders. They add a light coating of make-up to my face then I am ready to go.

"Last one," Sophia says to me as we wait behind the heavy white doors to be called out. Well, for me to be called out. I must go out alone.

"Don't I need to do a speech in the Capitol or back in District 12?" I ask.

She shakes her head and I can’t help but sigh with relief. Once this tour is over, I'm not going to be doing any speeches for a very long time. Well, until the next games begin, I suppose.

Eventually I am called out and I stand before a huge crowd of people. Like in every other district, the square is packed. Butterflies flutter in my stomach as I smile at the audience and begin my speech:

"Citizens of District 1, thank-you for your hospitality. I'm very excited to be visiting your district as victor of the 2nd annual Hunger Games. As victor, I have been asked at each District I've visited on this tour to speak about their tributes who weren't as fortunate as myself and were tragically killed in the games…"

As I say these words for the millionth time, I can't help but think how stupid it sounds, especially when I have to say this to the families and friends of the tributes I specifically killed. I'm not really sorry for their deaths. Well, I am. But if they had survived, I wouldn't be here today. It just doesn't make sense.

"Thank-you for your children," I say, finishing off my speech and smiling as the audience applauds somewhat reluctantly. Finally I am presented with yet another trophy and wreath of honour to add to my collection, I smile and wave to the crowd once more before heading back inside.

But I'm not done yet. I still have a dinner to attend.

The dinner party is a rather simple affair, as it has been in every district I've visited. Yet District 1 has put on the greatest party of them all. There's lots of delicious food and a few important community members who want to introduce themselves to me and a few younger citizens who want to know my secret - how did I win the Hunger Games. I simply tell them I gave everything my best shot and if I was faced with a challenge, I didn’t rush into it but thought it through first.

"You didn't practice at home?" one of the little boys asks.

"No," I reply though this is a lie. I did practice but that was years before the Hunger Games were even thought of. "I learnt practically everything I know in the training centre in the Capitol before the games. I did know a little from before the rebellion but I was very young."

The boy nods before replying.

"I've been training really hard! I hope to volunteer one day!"

"Oh," I say, not entirely sure how I should respond. "That's… very brave."

He smiles at me and rushes off to join his friends who had been calling for him. I don't see why anyone would ever want to volunteer. The games were a horrible experience which I would never wish on anyone else. I can’t think of any reason why someone would volunteer themselves for such torture.

Finally the celebrations end and I board the train again with Sophia, Lavendar and my prep team. I head straight to my room and fall asleep immediately to the rocking of the train.