51

Amari

"Amari, everything she told me lined up with what Justin told you. I don't think she's lying." Lana explains over the phone.

I sigh pulling staring down at my belly before glancing back to my phone. I was relieved that I finally had closure on this whole situation, but there was still a nagging feeling.

Why did I get like this?

It's like I wanted proof. I wanted to see what happened with my own eyes, but I knew that wasn't possible.

"Thank you Lana." I say quietly.

"Yeah. Don't mention..." She was cut off by the sound of a door opening and closing behind her.

"Whose that?" I ask pulling the phone closer to my face trying to see who it was.

"No one." Lana shakes her head shifting away from the door. "Here. Let me call you back. I have to deal with something."

"Okay..." I squint watching as a smile spreads across her face. "If it's one of those old men you don't have to be embarrassed."

"Amari!" She giggles.

Yep. It was a boy.

"You're embarrassing me. I'll call you back." She laughs blowing kisses to me and I hung up.

I sit up in bed fixing my shirt. I could hear footsteps rushing up the steps and Justin's younger brother, Jonah, arguing with Julia.

"Come on. Mom said go to our rooms." Jonah whispers.

"No. She said go upstairs. I'm upstairs." I heard Julia respond smartly. "Let me go."

I walk over to the door pulling it open to see Julia sitting on the steps staring down towards the kitchen. Jonah immediately grabbed onto my arm.

"Amari, tell her to go to her room." Jonah tattles kicking Julia.

"Why? What's happening downstairs?" I ask.

"I'm trying to see but Jonah won't shut up." Julia says quietly.

I pull my arm away from Jonah and begin to walk downstairs when I see Justin leave the kitchen shaking his head. His eyes land on me and he speeds up a little to help me down the last few steps.

"Come on. Let's go sit in the living room." He say softly. "Julia, Mom said to go to your room." He points at her.

"You people take things so literally around here." Julia mumbles standing up and going to her room.

"What happened in the kitchen?" I ask as Justin guides me into the living room.

"Nothing." He shakes his head. "Well, nothing important."

"Yeah? Then why is Julia being so nosey?" I ask teasingly.

"Because she's a teenage girl. I thought all of y'all were like that." Justin laughs and I nudge his side as we sit on the couch.