Low Batteries

Low Batteries

...

BEEP!

Jack sprung up in bed, instantly moving into a defensive position, wide eyes straining to survey the dark room.

Silence.

Jack ran a hand tiredly over his face, sinking back down into bed with a groan. He must have imagined it. His eyes were just closing, slipping back into the embrace of sleep.

BEEP!

Now he knew he wasn't imagining things. Jack stumbled out of bed and across the room where the light switch was. After the initial blinding was over, he searched the room, but there was no sign of anything that would make such an obtrusive noise. In fact, the guest room was bare save for the bed, side table and wardrobe.

BEEP!

"What the heck is that?" Jack asked nobody in particular. His eyes roved the room, landing on a small round device on the ceiling flashing a red light every few seconds.

Confused, the winter spirit grabbed his staff and drifted up until he could get a proper look.

BEEP!

He nearly fell in shock from the sudden sound. He had no doubt now that it was coming from the strange device. With a frown, he used his free hand to grab onto it and tugged but the strange plastic thing didn't budge.

Jack hmphed. He squinted, noticing small words written around the edge. "Twist… to… release," he read. With a shrug, he did as was instructed, pleased at how easily the device came free. It was utterly unremarkable, and he had no idea how – or why – it had suddenly started beeping. Figuring now it was disconnected it would stop, Jack placed it down gently on the side table and went to turn off the light.

His body eagerly welcomed the prospect of sleep.

BEEP!

Jack sprang upright for the third time that night. Why was it still beeping?! With a frustrated sigh, he slid out of bed and turned the light back on. Grabbing the device none too gently, he looked it over, trying to find some sort of off switch.

The back of the device sported some kind of compartment, and with a small amount of prodding he managed to get it open. A small rectangular thing sat inside. Oooh, a battery. In hindsight, he probably should have realised. A small flick was all it took to remove the battery and he placed both it and the circular thing back on the table.

Maybe now he could finally get some sleep.

BEEP!

"What?! WHY ARE YOU STILL BEEPING?!" Jack practically screamed. Snatching up his staff, he aimed it at the detestable device and froze it solid. "Let's see you beep now."

A small, sad red light flickered under the layer of frost and Jack narrowed his eyes. But the silence remained undisturbed.

"That's what I thought," he smirked in satisfaction.

BEEP!

"THAT'S IT!" Jack threw the device on the ground, more than prepared to smash it to oblivion.

"Jack? What is–" North stopped dead in his tracks at the sight that greeted him.

The winter spirit had his foot raised over some sort of frozen thing, his hair unruly and a manic glint in his eyes.

BEEP!

Jack seemed to writhe with rage, looking back down at the device with a snarl.

"No, Jack, wait!" North held his arms placatingly and Jack paused again. Almost hesitantly, the Cossack walked into the room and picked the device off the ground. It was a struggle to hold in the laugh that threatened to escape. "Jack, why did you freeze smoke detector?"

"Smoke detector?"

"Ya; if there is a fire, it detects the smoke and sounds an alarm."

"…" Jack gazed around the room. "There's no fire."

"I can see that."

"Then why is it beeping?!"

North smiled. "Is low battery alarm," he explained. "I will take and put new batteries in for you."

North shook his head with a light smile as he left the room, frozen smoke detector in hand. The poor kid looked so bedraggled. He would be sure to wait until morning before returning the detector.