Chapter 35

Nice Town

"Thank you, darling. You can fly home now." Rebekah told the pilot she compelled to fly her and Tara to Nice Town, before she turned to Tara. "Are you ready to see if this town lives up to its name?"

"I'm ready to get the job done so I can get paid." Tara replied.

"There's more to life than work and I'm about to show you that, Tara." Rebekah said, leading the way from the landing pad they were dropped at to ground level. "The witch who has my necklace is probably on high alert and expecting us right now.

We need to let things cool down so that they let their guard down. They're not going anywhere. You witches are too sentimental to places you reside in and this witch is probably no different.

Let's find ourselves a nice hotel, eat breakfast and rest for a few hours. You must be tired from the trip."
TRANSITION
Niklaus' Mansion

"Come on, love! You can do better than that!" Klaus coached, watching and timing Greta who was tasked with running around the house until she couldn't. "Pick up your pace and show me that you truly want to become a true fighter!"

"How does running help me become a true fighter?" Greta inquired, coming to a halt, lungs burning from running and very much regretting ever asking for training.

"I'll tell you once you've exhausted yourself. Now get going. You can ask questions while running." Klaus replied.
TRANSITION
Gilbert House

Morning found Alaric forcing himself to get out of bed and prepare for his return to fighting shape. He was a bit slow but he was determined to do what he had to do, even though his body was protesting.
TRANSITION
Nice Town

"Huh, I can't believe this hotel is still around." Rebekah commented as she and Tara walked through the entrance.

"When last were you here?" Tara inquired.

"Some time ago." Rebekah answered, purposely unspecific.

"Good morning, ladies. Welcome to Nice Hotel." Receptionist greeted once the two reached the reception.

"Good morning." Rebekah returned the greeting with a smile. "Is your uppermost suite occupied?"

"Let me check." Receptionist said, and typed away on the keyboard until he found what he was looking for. "The presidential suite is currently unavailable..."

"Make it available." Rebekah responded.

"I apologize, ma'am. But I can't. It's been booked..."

"Make it avai..." Rebekah began to compel the receptionist.

"Are you really doing this?" Tara interrupted, unimpressed. "My father lost his job because of something like this and I'm not going to be a part of it. I'll find somewhere else to stay. Call me when you're ready to do what we came here to do."

With that, Tara moved to leave but Rebekah swallowed her pride and stopped her from leaving. Although Rebekah brought Tara to Nice Town with her to personally help her retrieve her necklace, she had other reasons.

The last few weeks were like a breath of fresh air without her brothers around but after some time loneliness set in and Rebekah sought company, and since she saw Tara's living conditions, which weren't the best, and Tara looked out for Rebekah by advising her against going after the necklace, she made her an offer.

It was rare that a witch go the extra mile free of charge when consulted by a vampire, so Rebekah wanted to return the favor without being obvious and maybe gain another true friend, like Greta.