030. the first fatality

S O R R Y

 xxx||the first fatality

Maria and Danielle both hurry through the halls of St Mungo's, frantically looking around for the ward that their best friend is supposedly on. Maria and Danielle had been told a few hours ago that Clarissa and her family were attacked as soon as they arrived home from Australia, Clarissa being hit with an unknown but dangerous curse and she's now in critical condition in St Mungo's Hospital for magical Maladies and Injuries. There's a crowded reception area where rows of witches and wizards are waiting in rickety wooden chairs and reading different magazines and newspapers. Some of them looking completely normal, yet some with tears in their eyes as they wait patiently to be treated by the healers.

The healers are wearing like green robes and the ones frantically going around the room are holding clipboards and quills, hastily scribbling down notes after asking each person questions — most likely to see who needs to be treated more urgently. Weaving in and out of the crowded room, they make it to a desk where a tall, black haired woman is stood in the same green robes but is flicking through files and papers.

"Which ward is Clarissa Monroe on?" Danielle asks quickly and the woman's green eyes flit up to them before back to the paper, running her finger down a list of names with numbers next to them.

"Down the hall, first door on your right." The woman says and they give her strained yet thankful looks as they run down the hall, skidding to a halt in front of double doors. Through the thin, rectangular windows they see multiple beds, some occupied by sleeping patients, some patients sat up and talking to visitors. Maria spots a head of long, red hair and pushes open the doors, the two rushing to her and sitting on the free chairs next to her.

The doors open again and James walks in with Remus, Sirius and Peter — obviously being told about the attack and to also comfort Maria and Danielle.

"She's so still." Danielle whispers, her hand reaching out and softly gripping Clarissa's unmoving one. The girl in front of them is sleeping apparently peacefully, her chest rising and falling softly with each breath and her eyes closed. Her face seems paler than it usually does, her lips chapped and stitches in her cheek, clearly a gash from a curse.

Maria doesn't say anything for the next minutes, just staring at Clarissa's motionless body on the white sheets. Her hand seems to be hooked up to a device that's on the table next to the bed, presumably keeping track of her heartbeat.

"Mari." James says quietly, pulling a chair up beside hers and Maria looks at him, tears clouding her vision as her brother holds out an arm and she crumbles into his embrace, leaning into his side as he gently kisses the top of her head.

Remus' eyes suddenly light up with an idea and he reaches into his jacket pocket, pulling out a bar of chocolate and snapping two pieces off. He gingerly gives one to Danielle who half smiles in appreciation before crouching next to Maria and holding it out for her. Maria side eyes him before smiling slightly and taking it from him, making Remus smile in success.