Hitting the Jackpot (Sara Ehret, aka Jackpot)

Sara hid alongside her daughter. They were running away from Boomerang and Rose. She had managed to avoid them for quite some time, but they were gaining once more. She had a reason for why she had quitted in the first place, but the words that resounded in her head haven't let her sleep.

"You say you don't want the responsibility? Guess what? People like us... We don't get a choice"

His voices resounded in her mind, as she guarded her daughter from getting frozen in the cold night they were experiencing. She knew, even if her mind would say otherwise, that sooner or later it would have happened. Even if she started as a heroine or not. People would want to find her and hurt her because of what she had done as a heroine. Her past would never leave her behind, she knew that now. It was the sole reason as to why her husband was now dead, because villains didn't care.

"Syn... Are you hungry?" She asked her daughter. She just hoped they would gain his attention, he always patrolled New York, whether it was the coldest night. She knew that she didn't deserve to even be in the same room as him, but she needed the help. She wouldn't allow her daughter to suffer because she was scared to face the man that made her realize that there was no escaping her responsibility. And right now, that was to take care of Sydney with all she had left in her.

She saw Sydney shook her head against her chest, and could only sigh in relief. It has been sometime since the two of them were on their own, fighting for survival. Sara had assured herself and her daughter that they would be alright. Many times she had done so, but tonight... It felt as if her prayers would finally get answered.

*TWIP*

Sara perked up at the sound. It was faint, she could barely hear it but she knew that he was near. Her body screamed at her to go find him, but she couldn't just leave her daughter here alone while she found Spider-Man. She needed to do something else...

"Hey Boomy! Did you lost your baseball ball and you're looking for it?" She heard the taunts of the arachnid hero of New York and immediately froze. They had found her, she had to get out of there before they get to her and her daughter. "Why don't you use this one? Is a special edition!"

Sara heard a sound of battle outside of where she was hiding with her daughter. This was it, her chance to get out of there and live another day. She wanted to move, but something was telling her to wait and to have faith. Have faith that Spider-Man would capture the two villains that were following her. She could only hope as she held even closer to her daughter, covering her from whatever they may experience.

She heard the door open, and could feel her daughter shake in fear against her. She tried to calm her down, but nothing worked. And then she started to pray. Praying to whichever deity that existed in their world that it was Spider-Man the one that opened the door. She slightly opened her eyes, but her eyelashes were still on her sight's way, making her fear the one who had actually opened the door.

"Sara?" Her eyes immediately opened at the familiar voice of the arachnid hero. She could see his worried expression, written all over his mask. He had his hand extended, waiting patiently for her to accept the offer. She immediately took it and brought the arachnid hero into a desperate hug. She even saw her daughter hugging Spider-Man by his leg, the grip seemingly tightened as each second passed. "Wow! I love being this close to you like this, but I really don't know what I even do to deserve such treatment"

"Can we... Go somewhere else?" Sara asked, making Spidey frown a bit. He never saw Jackpot, the original one, this vulnerable before. Sure she didn't like heroics because she was protecting her family, and he could definitely understand that but she neglected everyone else. Everyone had a right to be saved. But seeing her in such a vulnerable state, made Peter Parker worry about what may happen. "We need a new place to stay at..."