Chapter 12

Veronica wakes up with a smile on her face. Archie's arms are wrapped around her and his chin rests on top of her head. He holds her so close. It feels amazing. The thought that last night was a one time only thing makes her upset, very upset. Last night was amazing. She never felt so good, so loved before but for him it was probably just lust.

Her thoughts are interrupts by a soft kiss on the top of her head. "Morning" Archie smiles.

"Morning" Veronica says as she turns in his arms to face him.

He moves one hand to her face and runs his thumb over her cheekbone. He leans closer and places a short but sweet kiss on her lips. She can feel tingles in her stomach and heart. "Are you hungry Ronnie? Do you want me to make some breakfast for you?"

Veronica smiles and blushes a little. "Why don't we make breakfast together" she asks as she places her hands on his chest.

"Sounds good" he leans back in to kiss her again but Veronica pulls back.

"Uhm as much as I enjoy kissing you, you know we can't — there will never be more between us"

"Why?" Archie frowns.

"You're my boss. We just can't— and the kids"

"Okay if that's what you want then we'll be just friends. Do you regret last night?"

Veronica shakes her head "no, last night was amazing. I never felt so—"

"Good? Hot? Pleasured?" Archie interrupts with a big grin in his face. Veronica rolls her eyes. "Loved, I wanted to say but yeah what you said too but don't get too confident now. Keep your testosterone level low please"

Archie tries his best to stop grinning but he can't so instead he softly kisses Veronica's forehead and then whispers against her skin: "I'm glad I could make you happy and feel loved. I'll try to keep making you feel loved but you know— in a "we're just friends" way"

Veronica rolls her eyes again but this time she giggles at the same time. Archie pulls her a little closer so now her eyelashes brush over his chest.

"Didn't you say something about breakfast?" she whispers.

"Let me just hold you for a second" he smiles and begins to run his fingers through her hair. "I hope you know how beautiful you are. You looked gorgeous last night. That guy definitely missed his chance to meet an amazing woman but I'm happy he did because I got to spent time with you instead"

"You're so sweet" Veronica giggles. She places a kiss on his chest and then pulls back so she can kiss his lips on last time.

He turns away from her, grabs his shirt from the floor and hands it to her. "Breakfast now?"

"Mhm" she grins. She sits up and pulls the shirt over her head. It still smells like him. "There is tomato sauce on it" she giggles.

"Then take it off. You can walk around naked. I don't mind"

"Shut up" she smirks at throws a pillow at him.

He gasps. "How dare you?" Before Veronica can do anything, Archie grabs her wrist and pulls her in his lap. He holds her close to his chest and her hands down so she can't fight back while he kisses her face.

"Stop" she squeals.

He places one last kiss on her cheek before he lets go of her. The smile on Veronica's face disappears when Archie asks her a question. "Why don't you want to date me?"

"Archie" she sighs "it's not that I don't want to. I don't want to ruin the relationship we already have. I love it here. I love my job and the kids. I don't want to ruin anything. I've been hurt so many times"

"I would never hurt you Ronnie"

Tears form in her eyes. "Please don't make it even harder"

Archie sighs. He wipes the tears out of her face and kisses her forehead. "I'm sorry" he whispers
"If you don't want to, I will accept that. I don't want to pressure you or make you feel uncomfortable"

"I'm so sorry" she cries. She leans against him and buries her face in his chest.

"Don't be. It's okay" he says. He runs his fingers through her hair and holds her close until she stops crying.
"Can we at least enjoy today together? Until we have to pick up the kids?" he asks

He feels Veronica nod against his chest. It makes him smile. "Okay, good. Can we eat something now? I'm starving"

"Yeah" Veronica giggles. She pulls away and looks up to him. He smiles at her. It makes her feel so much better. She runs her thumb over his cheekbone. He takes her hand away from his face and kisses her palm. "Last one in the kitchen has to cook" he smirks. He lifts her off his lap and runs out of the bedroom.

"That's unfair!" she giggles.

"Come get me" she can hear him yell from downstairs.

Veronica smirks. She jumps up and follows him.

•••

As Veronica pures coffee into two cups. Archie wraps his arms around her waist from behind.
He kisses her cheek and then lies his chin on her shoulder. Veronica can't keep herself from smiling. She lets go of the cup and places her hand on Archie's.

"Mhh coffee. Smells so good" he sighs.

"I agree" Veronica giggles "what do you want to eat?"

"I'll cook for you"

"But I lost" Veronica giggles. "I'll cook and you just do this" she says as she pulls Archie's hand further around her waist and leans into his chest.

"Okay" he whispers

Veronica takes a sip from her coffee and sighs. "Does scrambled eggs with some toast and tomatos sound okay?"

"Mhm, very okay. Do you want me to do anything?"

"No" Veronica says and places her hands on his. "Don't move. Just hold me"

"Okay" he chuckles. "Can I kiss you too? Just one last kiss"

Veronica smirks and bites the inside of her lip. She tilts her head so she can look up to him. "Didn't you say that twenty minutes ago?"

"So? Can I have a kiss or not?"

"You're making this so much harder" she whispers. Her fingertips trace over the skin of his face.

"I know" he smiles. "But I'm okay with suffering a little more if I can just get one last kiss now"

Veronica slowly turns in his arms. She gets on her tiptoes, cups his cheek and kisses his lips softly. She pulls back at stares into his beautiful hazel brown eyes. Her fingers run through his hair. "I'm sorry"

"No it's okay. I don't want to force you to anything"

"I'm still sorry"

Instead of saying something Archie brushes a strand of her dark hair out of her face and kisses her forehead. "Don't worry"

•••

"You look really pretty" Archie smiles as Veronica walks into the living room, wearing a blue summer dress with little daisies on it and a pair of white sneakers. The combination of dress and sneakers look really cute.

"Thank you Archie"

He reaches for her hand and intertwines their fingers. He wants to enjoy the last few minutes before they pick up the children.
They walk to the Andrews's house in silence, a comfortable silence. They enjoy the warm sun on their skin and the feeling of their joined hands. Archie glances over to her. Her beautiful face and the way the light summer breeze moves her hair make him blush. She's so beautiful. His heart beats faster. He would do anything to date her but she's kind of right. Why risk the relationship they have. But on the other hand they could have so much more, something so much better.

As they reach his parents's house he squeezes her hand and smiles at her before he lets go of her hand and knocks against the door.