Five

Tonight was the annual Sixth Form Ball. It happened every last Wednesday of Christmas term and it was a big thing for us Sixth Formers. The girls took it more seriously than the boys and went all out with their hair, make-up and dresses. It was partly the reason why classes for the Sixth Formers were cancelled this afternoon. Hair appointments had been made, manicures scheduled and last minute accessories were bought.

I wasn’t particularly one of those girly girls that got dressed up on a daily basis and came into school with a face full of slap, but for the Ball I did tend to make an effort, although it was an understated effort. Although, remembering the dress my sisters forced me to buy two weeks ago, I don’t think the word ‘understated’ is appropriate this time around.

When Reece had finally regained the ability to breathe without almost passing out, I helped him towards his car. I took his keys from him and ushered him around to the passenger side door.

“What are you doing?” Reece asked incredulously. “You are not driving my car.”

“Watch me,” I tell him as I force him into the passenger seat and buckle him up. I round the car and jump in, moving the chair closer to the wheel and gaining a terrified look from Reece while doing so. “Chill out, you big baby. I’m a good driver, I promise. Plus, I don’t think Dylan will be thrilled if I let you drive yourself home.”

“What is with you and him?” Reece suddenly asks as soon as I pull out of the school car park. I chance a glance over at him, but he’s staring out the window shaking his head to himself. He’s doing that biting-on-the-knuckles thing he does when he’s agitated and his knee keeps jerking up and down. These were all signs that Reece Nicholls was about to go ape shit and I wasn’t exactly looking forward to being in the car with him when he transformed into the Hulk. “I mean,” he continues. “You think the sun shines out of his arse, don’t you? And I don’t get it. My brother is far from perfect but you’re just too blinded to see it. You have these blinkers-”

“I do not have blinkers,” I interrupt him, tightening my grip on the wheel as we come to a set of red lights. “Dylan is a nice person and he’s a great friend-”

“That’s all he’ll ever be,” Reece snaps, turning his blazing eyes onto me. I’ve never seen Reece look so angry before and it was quite scary. “He’s never going to be your boyfriend, Cadence. Just give up already.”

I sat, stunned. “Where is all this coming from?”

“It’s coming from years of watching you fawn over my brother,” he growls. “Years, Cadence. It’s about time that you snap out of it and start obsessing over someone else.”

“Over who? You?” I snort. I was usually a very level headed person but Reece was starting to piss me off, and when I got angry, I got bitchy. “News flash you self-centred, womanising, intolerable wanker- there’s a reason I fell for Dylan. Not that you would understand any of it.”

“I wasn’t saying that you should go for me,” Reece shouted back. “And do you really want to talk about intolerable? Look in the mirror babe.”

“This is why I hate you!” I scream.

“And I hate you!” He yelled back at me.

The car behind us beeped the horn, snapping us from our confrontation. The light was green now and as I put the car into first gear, I felt a tear slide down my cheek. I very rarely cried, at least not because I was an emotional crier. I was a frustrated crier, and right now I was so far beyond frustrated that I could cry an ocean in this car.

I sniffled and caught Reece’s attention.

“Are you crying?” He asks, his voice coming softly from the passenger seat. He groaned and I could hear him moving around. I stole a glance from the corner of my eye and watched as he reached over and wiped a tear from my cheek. “Cadence…”

“My name is Cady,” I correct him, just like the millions of other times I’ve corrected him in the past. Thankfully we’ve reached Reece’s house and I pull the car up the driveway behind Dylan’s familiar Swift. “You’re home now, so I’m going to go. I’ll see you at the Ball later.”

“Cadence,” Reece called out to me when I was half way down the street. Despite my better judgement, I turned and saw him walking towards me, a pained look written across his features. “I’m sorry for shouting at you. I just want you to be happy, ok? I know I’m not your favourite person, but I do care for you, hard as that may be for you to believe. And like I said, I know Dylan. He’s going to be the one that ends up hurting you, and I don’t want that. Not for you. You’re too…”

“Intolerable?” I offer with a humourless smile.

“Well, you are that,” Reece smirks. He moves closer to me, brushing my hair from my face before cupping my chin in his hand. “But what I was going to say was that you are too precious for that.”

I blink up at him, open my mouth to speak, and then promptly shut it when I realised I had no comeback for that.

“I’ll see you at the Ball, Cadence,” Reece smiles warmly.