19 Generational Turbulence

The following morning, my mom was fighting with me the second I stepped into the TM office. Ava was still asleep in the clubhouse and Tig had offered to watch her for a bit and come get me when she got up.

"Where's the kid?" My mother asked.

"Tig's watching her for a bit," I said. "She was still asleep."

"Oh, so Tig can be alone with her and Clay can't," my mother snapped.

"Ma, we aren't doing this again," I said.

"Yes we are," she yelled as she stood up.

"I'll be back when you've calmed down," I said. I walked out of the office and into the parking lot where most of the guys were standing around their bikes.

"Samantha," my mother yelled.

"Mom," I snapped, spinning on my heel to face her. "I'm not apologizing for not wanting my daughter alone with a man who beat the shit out of me when I was a teen."

"No but she can be around the worst of the lot," she snapped.

"You implying something about my old man?"

"I ain't implying a damn thing you don't already know," she said. "He's fucked up Sammy."

I faintly heard someone ask if they should step in but Jax told them we were fine.

"Ma," I said. "Tig would never lay a hand on my daughter."

"It's not his hands you need to worry about," she said and I lost it. All my rage came out in a few quick hits to her face. She hit back a couple times and tried to throw me to the ground, but I beat her to it. I obviously had the upper hand. I hit her once while I had her pinned down when hands grabbed my arms and pulled me off.

"Let me go," I snapped pulling away from Jax and Opie as Chibs and Bobby checked on my mom.

"Get the fuck outta here," Clay said. "I don't want to see you face here again."

"I will be here because my damn name is on that billboard. I still own a quarter of this business," I said.

"Take a few days," Jax said. "You and Ava can crash with me."

"Thanks bro," I said. I wanted to go get cleaned up but Chibs was trying to make sure my face wasn't hurt too bad.

"You'll be alright lass," he said. "Her ring got ya good."

"I can patch it up. Go tend to Mom," I said. He nodded and walked away while Jax and Opie followed me into the clubhouse.

I headed back to the dorms and let myself into the dorm where Ava was still sound asleep in the bed and Tig was watching the morning news at a low volume.

"Baby, what the hell happened?" He asked as I walked past him towards the bathroom.

"Her and Mom got into it. Clay wants her away for a few days so she's going to stay with me for a bit," Jax explained.

Ava was waking up finally so Jax and Opie took her to find some breakfast while Tig and I worked on cleaning up my face.

"What does one have to do to piss Gemma off bad enough she hit her own kid?" He asked.

"I hit her," I said.

"Why?"

"You want the truth?" I asked. He looked a little nervous but nodded.

"My mother called you a pedophile and wanted to know why I left my daughter alone with you but not Clay," I said. He was obviously tense about the truth, but I wasn't going to lie to him. After the abuse he experienced as a kid, I knew he'd never lay a hand on a kid. I'd seen him stand up for abused kids he didn't know before.

"Jesus babe," he said as I bandaged the worst of the cuts on my face. I was all patched up and cleaned up. I just needed a clean shirt.

"It's over and done with," I said. "Can you grab me a shirt?"

He walked over to his bag and grabbed one of his SAMCRO shirts and handed it to me.

"Thanks," I said, kissing his cheek before changing quickly.

"You know you don't need to go to bat for me," he said.

"Tig, babe, you're my old man. It's what I'm supposed to do," I said. "I'd go to bat for you a million times if I needed to."

"Just a million?" He asked with a chuckle as I kissed his lips.

"We've gotta get outta here," I said. We packed our bags up quickly and took them all out to my car.