38. Heroes

Mei had been rather uneasy.

She knows that something is really wrong when they told them to proceed to the evacuation site.

But as soon as she met Power Loader on their way, he told her to go to the infirmary. But for what reason? She didn't know...

Not until she found the girl lying on the bed. She looked like she was sleeping but when touched, it was cold as ice. And when she leaned closer to listen to that one last hope she's had in mind, all hell broke lose.

No heartbeat.

No breath.

Mei's body froze still. She tried listening again but to no avail, nothing.

Her typical smile that shakes away the doubts of the world. The inventor who never gave up, obsessed and happy to her own creations stood still. The smile was gone and for some reason, it can't lift up anymore.

A heavy load now pushes her shoulders down to the point where her knees can't also carry her. Kneeling on the floor, watching her first ever friend she had, lying on that bed. Cold and lifeless. It felt like all enthusiasm to create tilted from one hundred to zero. Her mind blanked, trying to register what is happening.

She hated this so much.

"Y/n! Y/n! Wake up!" The desperate pinkette shook the body that lay on the white sheets. "I-if you won't... if you won't." He voice croaked. Beautiful yellow eyes started becoming blurry as tears began to flow from their supposedly creative and bright light.

She gripped Y/n's shoulders.

"Y/n Stone. Wake up or I'll steal Ultron... I'll make our working tables explode and you'll not be there to fix it and threaten me with the plugs... I... I will... I will not treat you food ever again!" Her head collapsed on the sleeping female's side as Mei sobbed.

How could the strongest person she knew end up dead? It was unacceptable.

"Rejoice!" Says a voice that started echoing through some type of communication device somewhere. "For the great saviour has come to bless this world anew. To cleanse this world from all the sins." It calmly explained.

Mei's head slowly lifted from that unknown voice.

"Our salvation has come to take the power to save you all! Now, Avengers and this earth..." the voice paused momentarily before continuing. "Surrender the infinity stones to our great saviour. Or if not, we will see to it that we shall acquire the stones by force and bloodshed."

"Stones?" Mei couldn't help but looked at Y/n as soon as she heard it.

"Dearie." Recovery girl called out to the pink haired female who knelt beside Y/n's bed. The short lady, patted the young girl's back carefully. "We have to take Y/n's body to a safer location now."

Although moving around a dead body sounds very disrespectful, the pitiful h/c haired girl still has relevance to the enemies. Which is why, she needed to be hidden away from them. The old nurse couldn't just let this girl be.

Mei blinked twice. Quickly went to understand after hearing that announcement from that stranger from Recovery Girl's request. "They're going to take Y/n away?" She asked.

The old lady didn't speak. But the look of concern and pity in her old wrinkled eyes stated that it seemed to be the case.

Silence soon devoured the room heavily as the two people in that room stared at each other while the younger processed the things Recovery girl said until it dawned to her deeply. Almost like a stab, a nail being drilled in her head and a fire burning her body.