Ch.10 •The Scorch•

Y/n's POV:

We ran up an escalator running till we reached another escalator. Before we could get to the second escalator we were face to face with a crank. Aris was the one brave enough to go at it and swing at the crank's legs with a bat he found earlier. Only Teresa and Thomas were able to go up that escalator. "Come on let's go around!" I yelled at the boys behind me as they followed me to the escalator on the other side. I let Winston, Newt, and Minho go up the escalator first. With Fry a bit behind me and Jack behind him. I heard Fry yell, I turned around to see a crank on him and Jack trying to push the crank off.

I helped Jack push the crank off but during the process, another crank grabbed Jack and started dragging him back. I grabbed my rifle and shot the crank holding Jack two times. Before Jack could run back to us another crank caught us off guard and pulled Jack with him shattering the railing beside him. Jack was holding onto the railing "Y/n! Frypan!" Both Fry and I were now holding onto Jack's hands trying to pull him up but the crank below him wouldn't let go. "Jack!!" Fry and I both yelled trying to pull him up. Before we knew it we were caught off guard and another crank jumped on top of Jack causing him to fall to his death.

I felt terrible, I barely knew the boy but he was so innocent and didn't deserve to die. I wish I acted fast enough or let him run up the escalator first. I looked at Fry, a sad shocked look on his face "I'm so sorry Fry..." I said with a frown, before I could do anything else we were both being pulled up the escalator. Minho pulled me behind him while Winston pulled Fry with him. "Come on let's go!" "Come on!" Both Minho and Winston yelled. We ran until we reached the others and ran through a long hallway. I ran next to Thomas with Newt slightly behind me limping, I wasn't going to ask him about it unless he brings it up, could be personal.

We kept running until I heard glass break behind me I quickly turned around to see a crank on top of Newt. "Ew," I heard Newt say while trying to push the crank off himself. I quickly positioned myself with my rifle and shot the crank on top of Newt. The crank fell and Thomas quickly kicked the crank off through a glass railing. "Thanks, love. Thanks, Tommy!" Newt said to Thomas and me as I gave him a hand to stand. "Nice shot," Thomas yelled as we started running again. I gave him a slight nod, "Nice kick," I yelled back. We ran until we took a turn into a long hallway that led to three closed doors. "It's a dead-end!" Screamed Minho.

Thomas, Minho, and Fry tried kicking the door open while I was looking for my handgun in my backpack. Once I found it I handed it to the closest person next to me, Winston. "We'll hold them back!" I yelled as I reloaded my gun. Winston and I were now shooting the cranks down but they wouldn't slow down they just kept running, getting closer. "Get the door open!" Winston yelled as he pushed me behind him. I turned around to see Fry running at the door when it suddenly burst open and everyone started running out.

Before we could run out the door Winston was pulled back by cranks, he held onto the door as Newt and I pulled his arms, and Minho and Thomas tried closing the door

Before we could run out the door Winston was pulled back by cranks, he held onto the door as Newt and I pulled his arms, and Minho and Thomas tried closing the door. As we were pulling Winston away the cranks created a deep gash on his stomach. When we were finally able to pull him away a crank grabbed my ankle and dug its nails into my leg. Before I could react Newt yanked my rifle off of my shoulder and shot the crank. He quickly grabbed my hand and pulled me away running from the cranks. Once we made it out of the building we ran and hid under some barely standing boulders.