chapter 4

She began adjusting to her life with him. It had been two weeks since their marriage and her life has been unbelievably quiet. Ben goes to 'work', comes back home, eats dinner and goes to sleep. He doesn't even talk to her unless it is to complain about something. It was strange, she had asked him about his job and he would just say he works at an office, not clarifying what he does specifically. She wondered if her Father knew. She was saddened at the thought that perhaps her Father didn't know what he did for a living and assumed it was something good.

Myra tried her best to keep herself busy in his house. She couldn't call this her home, she felt like she didn't believe here. Often she thought about her family and how they used to do their chores together, even her Father. Her extended family mocked her Father for helping out by saying it was a woman's job, but he didn't care. He loves his family more than anything else in the world.

Myra learnt to control her breakdowns, it terrible during the first week. Tears would well up in her eyes while she ate, but she would quickly wipe them away. She hated the silence. There was always some kind of commotion in her house, whether it was laughter or fights. Sometimes she thought that she heard someone call her, it almost sounded like her Mother. She felt as if she was going crazy. Here, he would only greet her and unless she asked him a question he wouldn't talk to her. He gave her a whole list of rules he expected her to follow, she felt more like maid rather than a wife.

But she obeyed.

She promised her Father that she would try to work things out between them, but if her Father found out about how he treated her, he would've told her to comeback to him. Unfortunately, it was too late. She wasn't even allowed to speak to them, nor see them. And they would never find out.

There would be no way they would ever 'bump' into each other, they lived too far from her home. Yet it made her think, how could she try to like a man that hardly looked at her and even when he did, it was to complain about something she wore, or that a strand of hair was out of place.

He made her throw away all her clothes and replaced them with dresses that were tailored to her size. She was glad she didn't bring all her clothes, most of her favourites were still at home. She'd never worn a dress before, especially so publicly, and most of the dresses were really short. She had worn maxi dresses, but they we're modest. She felt too exposed around him.

He expected her to wear them from the morning until it was bedtime, in case someone would come to see him, she has to look presentable enough so she wouldn't cause him any embarrassment. That wasn't all though, she had to wear heels too, but when she complained about it, he said she has to learn to do everything in heels. rush around make food, laundry. She was surprised he didn't tell her to shower with them on, at least at that thought she almost laughed.

Just like that she fell into a monotonous and dull routine. She sat at the Dinner table waiting for Ben to come home again. She tried to follow the etiquette of a proper housewife, be happy when he comes home so he forgets his problems, but part of her felt that maybe she was his problem, or maybe part of it.

After a while she heard Ben's footsteps making their way towards the Kitchen. 'Finally.' She thought, she didn't like eating alone, which meant that she completely misses Lunch everyday. Although, she wasn't completely happy, she tried her best to be the wife that he wanted her to be. "Hey." She smiled. 

"Hi." He answered, not bothering to look at her. Her smile faltered, but she stood up to serve him his food. Myra made Shepherd's pie with a piece of boiled chicken and fresh leaf salad as a side. He began eating and Myra filled her own plate up with a piece of chicken and salad. She poked at her food for a few moments until Ben spoke up.

"I think I've given you enough time to adjust. I've been invited to a formal party this week and I need you to accompany me. Please don't wear those cheap dresses, wear something modern, preferably short and black." He said looking up at her finally. Myra brushed her feelings off at what he said and nodded obediently. 

"Who else will be there? What kind of people?" She asked hesitantly, hoping that he wouldn't embarrass her again. 

"Some friends and business people. You are free to drink and mix with people. Just don't do anything embarrassing." He said, continuing to eat.

"Okay." She answered quietly. She didn't drink anyways, so he wouldn't have to worry about embarrassing him.

She had a few bites of her food, her appetite had disappeared after what he said. He didn't have to be so harsh about everything for no reason. Ben didn't seem to notice that she stopped eating, or perhaps he didn't seem to care enough to ask her about it.

He did tell her to lose more weight, but Myra was already thinner than she was on her wedding day. It wasn't her fault that she was slightly more curvy than the women he had seen around himself. Her stomach had a gentle curve to it, to any other man it was extremely attractive, but to him it was just fat. Her body was perfectly hourglass, gifted at the top and bottom. She knew there'd be no way she could get rid of those curves.

He finished his food and left the kitchen silently, going up to their room. Myra sighed sadly, biting her lip hard. How could she get him to like her when he didn't even like looking at her.

She picked up her plate and threw her food in the bin, if she were at home she would've definitely been told off for wasting it, but what was she going to do with food that she didn't even like to eat.

Doing chores was nothing new to her, in fact she enjoyed it when she was at home. Her sisters would have a laugh in the kitchen whilst cleaning, keeping each other entertained until they had finished everything. She rinsed the plate under hot water before squeezing soap over the sponge and cleaning it. Even though they were just surviving at home, they were happier than ever, happier than most families that had money. 

Once she had finished washing up all the dishes that she had used, she went up to their room and changed her clothes before laying down on the far end of the bed. They even had separate blankets. It made her wonder, if she had allowed him to create a physical relationship with him, would things still be this way? 

Part of her knew it would've been this way regardless. He didn't find her attractive. It would have just another duty added to her list, which she would have to fulfil as an obedient wife. She hugged the blanket to her chest and closed her eyes before her eyes would well up with tears again. 

_____________________________________________

So... I'm kind of back. 

Here's another sad chapter of Myra's life. It's making me sad too, kinda feel like my married life is gonna be dead like that too. LOL

Anyways, let me know what you think. Ben is a piece of shite. I'm still trying to figure out how he fucked up, then you guys will know too. 

Please remember to Vote, Comment and Share my story if you like it. It means everything to me. 

Z.A.B