Chapter 17

A Month Later

Beyoncé walked into Tillman Middle. She had been placed on maternity leave two weeks ago and didn't plan to see this school until August.

 She walked into the office and greeted the secretary before going towards the principle's office. She saw a boy sitting outside the office and then she went in.

She eyed Bri as she sat down in front of Principle Grier's desk.

"Sorry I had to call you in." He said.

"It's okay, what happened?" Beyoncé asked.

"Bria was caught skipping for the second time this week." He said.

"The second time." Beyoncé said looking over at Bri.

Bri found her hands more interesting at the moment.

"We wanted to let you know face to face that Bria needs to cut out the skipping if she expects to graduate with her class." He said. "She has to do the work to pass."

"I promise you, Bria won't be skipping anymore." Beyoncé said standing. 

"Alright," he said. "I'm hopping to see some baby pictures during June."

They laughed.

"You'll be sure to get them." Beyoncé said. 

Beyoncé grabbed Bria out the chair and they left the room. Beyoncé stopped at the boy that was sitting by the door.

"You were skipping with her?" Beyoncé asked the boy.

"Huh? No, I was-"

"Learn to lie better." Beyoncé said grabbing Bri and walking away.

They left the school and got in the car. Beyoncé started it and drove off.

"So," Beyoncé started. "We skipping now? That's what we do?" 

Bri just sat there. She didn't know what to say. It was true, she had been skipping class and the fact that Beyoncé was on maternity leave made it easier, well so she thought.

"Why were you skipping and who was that boy?" Beyoncé asked.

"He was a friend." Bri said lowly.

"What? Speak up!" Beyoncé said.

"He was a friend." She said.

"Okay, what were you and this friend doing?" Beyoncé asked.

"Nothing." Bri said.

"Then if y'all doing nothing what the hell are you skipping class for?" Beyoncé asked.

Bri just looked at her hands.

"Yeah, sounds real stupid don't it?" Beyoncé said. "I don't know why the hell you chose a month before graduation to show your ass. You wanna repeat the 8th grade?"

"No." Bri said.

"Then why you skipping? You was waiting for me not to be there thinking you wouldn't get caught?" Beyoncé asked.

"I'm sorry." Bri said.

"Nah, you good." Beyoncé said as she continued driving.

She decided to go pick up Bryan since she was already out. She got out the car and left Bri in it.

Bri thought it was weird that Bey said she was good. Knowing her for three years Bri knew she was not good.

Honestly Bri had no reason for skipping class. She just did it because plus KD was with her so that made it more fun for her.