12. And I Don't Know Why You Couldn't Just Stay with Me

"Scott, the name?"

"It's Noah."

His heart felt like it weighed half a ton, and he swore that it was struggling to beat.

How did Fake Scott know?

"That's great. I hope that he's good to you. That's all that I care about."

"He's good to me, so far. We'll see. It's obviously new."

"Good. Let's go back out there. I'm still hungry," Mitch said, quickly. He needed to leave the situation before he broke down in tears.

How could this man put so much effort into saving him, just to leave him with nothing?

He didn't have Scott Hoying. He didn't have his Scott.

He had nothing.

Then, it hit him, their final conversation in the hospital.

----
"Thank you. Thank you for accepting this. Thank you for letting me get fixed again."

"A promise... is a promise."
----

The promise. Now it all made sense.

----
"If he stays, I stay," Scott growled.

Mitch's arms fell to his sides in shock. "What?"

"If Scott Hoying stays, you won't get rid of me. I'll drive you insane. I'll hurt him, and you'll have to watch every second of it. I swear to God, Mitch, don't underestimate me."
----

Scott had found a final way to rid Mitch of Scott Hoying. He drove him away with Avi, and then he left, because Scott Hoying was no longer a threat.

It wasn't until they were at a party two weeks later that Mitch had the misfortune of meeting Noah.

The man had a swagger about him that made Mitch want to dig his nails into the skin of his cheeks, scarring the man's handsome face.

Whoa. Mitch stopped himself. Go easy.

"It's nice to meet you, Mitch. Scott's told me a lot about you," Noah greeted warmly as he shook his hand.

"All good things, I hope," Mitch smiled through clenched teeth, eyeing the blond who looked downright scared.

"Of course. He says you're an incredible singer, and that you're hilarious," Noah replied, his smile never faltering.

Apparently, the guy was an idiot, if he couldn't pick up on the tension in the room. Mitch downed his beer and excused himself without another word.

Mitch looked over his shoulder as Kirstin approached.

"He's actually nice, you know," Kirstin said, warningly. "And you were a bit rude."

"I'm sorry that I didn't throw a parade for the guy who stole something from me, Kirst."

She shook her head. "Please don't go into this weird, possessive place again. He isn't yours."

"Yeah, you never fail to remind me."

She walked away with one final glare in his direction, and Mitch eyed a sickening sight across the room.

Noah was smiling goofily at Scott, inching closer to him, and he cupped Scott's cheek, stroking his cheekbone with his thumb before kissing him, gently.