Steve

My heart dropped as I looked up at my new table to see my ex-boyfriend from high school sitting right in front of me with his best friend.

We dated during senior year, I thought we were going to be together forever. Naive, I know, but I was quickly thrusted into reality when I walked into his work to find him kissing my best friend.

Not only had my boyfriend been lying to me for months, but his gang, who I thought to be friends, kept it from me as well. They knew the entire time.

After that, I completely avoided them for the rest of the year. Steve and Abigail tried to apologize multiple times. They said, 'it was never supposed to happen', and 'things just got away from us'. Sodapop begged me to forgive, telling me that he tried to stop them.

I didn't realize what it felt like to have broken trust until that point. To truly feel like a person could stab you in the back at any point.

So, as graduation came and went, I was gone within the week. I moved to Texas. Deciding to live with my father. Work for a year or two and then maybe consider college, and here I am. A year after high school, a state away, with my high school sweetheart sitting in the diner I work in.

"Steve," I whispered, almost not believing my eyes, "what are you doing here?"

Steve didn't say anything for a moment, and Soda excused himself to the restroom.

"I asked your mom where you were, well, I guess begged her would be the better word," he explained.

"That doesn't tell me what you're doing here, Steve," I whispered, nervously tapping my notepad.

"I've never loved anyone the way I love you, and I know this is a miserable excuse, but that scared me. I didn't know what to do about it, so I did what I do best. I ruined everything." He says, watching me carefully.

"You're right," I say, "you did ruin everything."

"I know, and I know it's probably ridiculous of me, but I'm here to beg for a second chance."

A surprised scoff left my lips as I looked around the diner, quickly making sure none of my tables needed my service before turning back to Steve. His eyebrows were furrowed, a crease in his skin between them forming. He nervously fiddled with the silverware and the speed at which he tapped his foot seemed to shake the table.

"Yeah, Steve. I'd say that is pretty ridiculous." I move to walk away. Maybe pawn their table off on one of my coworkers.

"Baby, wait, please," and if it weren't for the genuine desperateness in his voice, I might've kept walking. "Your mom told me how much you hate it here. She said you call her crying and that you're miserable. Even if you won't take me back, I want you to be happy. Come home."

I had to swallow the tears before speaking, "It's not that simple."

"Why not?"

"Tulsa is small. You don't know how much it broke my heart to see you all around town. To think of that day every time I drove past the DX. You were my life during high school, and when you asked me out, I thought that was just the beginning for us," I confessed with a whisper.

The longer I stood here, though, the more I thought I could go back to Tulsa. The more I felt the closure that was coming from this conversation, whether it led to a second chance or not, I thought maybe I could do it. Maybe I could look at him and not feel heartbreak.

"I don't know," I say softly, biting my lip.

I am miserable here. I don't have any friends. My dad is never home, and when he is, he has no interest in talking, instead wanting to rest.

Suddenly, I'm picked up off the ground as Soda is spinning me around.

"Sodapop!" I yelled, clutching his arms as he spun me. "Put me down! This is my place of work!"

"I'm sorry, I just couldn't go another second without getting one of your famous hugs," he allowed me to turn around, giving him a true hug.

"Okay, okay, sit down," I giggled, "I do have to do ny job though. Let me check on my tables and I'll get you your drinks."

They opened their mouths to speak but I stopped them. "I know, I know. Pepsi."

I quickly check on my other tables, refilling drinks and collecting checks, before grabbing the pepsi's.

I feel so right now, not knowing what the right decision is. If I wanted, I could be ready to go back home by the end of the week. All I have to pack are clothes and other personal belongings.

As many problems as Tulsa has, I can't help but love it there. Even if I'm a greaser my entire life, destined to always live on the north side, I would be happy.

Steve's eyes never leave mine as I approach their table. I set down their drinks and Soda seems to have to force himself not to speak.

"If I were to come home," both of their eyes widen in hope, "you have to understand that didn't guarantee us a second chance."

"But you'll let me work for it?" Steve asks, his unique little smile finally making an appearance.

"If you think you can earn my trust back, I'll let you try."

Steve and Soda shouted in excitement, what I couldn't understand, but it made my heart warm. I hadn't realized I had such an impact on these boys lives, that they would search me out.

"Okay, boys calm down, it might be a week or two before I can make the move. I need to tell my dad and get my life together first."

"We'll come back and help." Steve promised, standing up and wrapping me in his arms. I couldn't help but melt into them.

So the boys started to eat, laughing and joking about how excited they were for me to come home.

Then, two weeks later, Steve, Soda, and Ponyboy showed up at my front door ready to help me load my car.

It was then offered for one of them to ride with me in my car with me on the way back, my choice.

Steve's name left my lips before I could realize it had happened.