Cupid & Psyche: Chapter One

Start from the beginning

“Oh. Really? Anyways, I know you’re probably nervous so I decided to give you this.” he pulled s a small box from his pocket.

I opened it to find his IPod.

“So you are giving me your IPod?” I raised an intrigue eye brow.

He laughs again. “No.” he took out his IPod from the small box and he turned it on. “I want you to hear this…”

He handed me one ear phone and I placed it on my right ear while her used the other one. Then he pressed “play” and the song “You’ve got a friend” by James Taylor played. Only that it was not James Taylor’s voice, it was Andrew’s off tuned voice and I always laugh so hard when I hear his voice. (You’ll know about Andrew later)

I punched his arm softly (very nice biceps. Haha). “You are such a jerk, Drew. But thank you.”

He smiled lightly. “I know you love me.”

I hit him hard this time. “Ouch! What? I’m just saying! Don’t get so defensive it’s getting obvious.”

“Ha-Ha. Very funny.”

“I have a better idea.” He says, changing the topic.

“Hit me.” I said and without any further warning he hits me with his hand. It made me shout once again.

“OUCH!!! Don’t you know I’m a girl?”

“Oh you are a girl? Really. My bad, so sorry I didn’t know!” he laughed at me sarcastically.

“Can’t you just try and be gentle for once?”

“All right, now let’s get to business.”

“So what was your brilliant idea?”

“Yeah—right!” he pulled a pack of gummy bears from his back pack.

“GUMMY BEARS!!!” I screamed as I pulled the pack from him. I always love GUMMY BEARS!

“You are the best among the west!!!”

“I know, right? I am limited edition.” he laughed and we shared the gummy bears.

“Wait up, mister! You’re eating it the wrong way!” I stopped him before he gets to eat it. “The head first—“

“It’s more humane that way.” He finishes. He is my best friend.

We ate the poor gummy bears in our own polite way and when we finished them off we both got into my business. Sure does my dear friend Andrew know how to stall things.

Andrew Neilson is the only guy best friend that I have. Yeah—I have said this twice already. I actually don’t understand how we became close friends. Maybe it started with the Journalists Seminar in freshman year. That was how and where we met. We just bumped into each other on our way to the comfort room. Well, not to mention that we both went into the wrong room. I at the men’s CR and he at the women’s CR.  The rest was a story I could never forget— just like history. Drew was passionate in everything that he does most especially photography. He says that the camera lenses capture everything that the eyes don’t see: the emotions and every little detail under the sun. I could not fully understand it since he has a photographer’s point of view while I have a writer’s point of view. Andrew and I may have different personalities but we we’re both cool and comfortable with each other. I still feel so blessed because with the hundreds of girls chasing all over for him I was one of the girls he is close with. Yeah, he is handsome all right and he has really hot body. He belongs in a clique of popular guys who run the school like princes. But another thing that I don’t understand is that I don’t seem to like him at all—I mean the super like thing that really leads to infatuation.

Andrew likes my idea of praying first before I nail some notes in the auditions. He says that prayer is a very powerful thing and it will give me luck even to just pass by and make a sign of a cross.

“Oh bless the priest to be.” I say.

“And blessed be the nun to be.” He snaps back.

The truth is that I always pray when I am scared or nervous. I always pass by the school chapel before I head towards the classroom. This may be weird for some people but for me it is a hobby that I wouldn’t want to end nor forget.

“Kai,” Andrew gave me that nickname. It’s short for Kai-Kee. I don’t know where he got that. “Would you mind waiting for me here? I just need to talk to Fr. Bong for my community service will that be okay with you?”

“Go ahead but please don’t take too much of your time. I’m really freakin’ nervous about this. Do you think we should go—“

“You can do this, Kai-Kee!” he held both of my hands and an electric wave shot into me. It made me feel so awkward that I took my hand off of his grip. “I know you can. Don’t waste the opportunity just because you are scared.”

He has a point though. I just hate it when he sounds right.

“Here” he handed me a green candle. “Light it. Make a wish while I’m gone.”

I took the candle from him and before I could say something else he was off to see Fr. Bong.

The idea of wishing with the candles was one of our traditions. Every time we wanted to wish something we would go here in this church and we would light a candle for the sake of our wish. I sighed as I lighted the candle with one of those lighten already.

  I closed my eyes gently and I put my hands together in a praying position. I know I was being so silly again, I wanted this so bad to be remembered but then I was being a coward. How will I achieve something if I wouldn’t do anything? I just hope that everything would come to its rightful place.

After I made the sign of the cross I opened my eyes only to feel someone watching me. I turned to my left to see a guy looking at me. And I was like having a big question mark on my head. We stared at each other as if the world was going on slow motion and my… why was my heart beating so fast?

Maybe I’m just nervous or maybe I’m just scared. But I’m not. I’m not scared of the audition anymore but with this stupid feeling that is yearning to come out of my system. That was when I recognized the guy.

He was tall and has unruly sandy colored hair that fits his beautiful light blue eyes. A smile crept on his face when he sees me looking back at him.

Oh God. Cupid Confiar; the most popular guy in Glacier Woods High School and not to mention my ultimate, number one on the list, crush. I did not just say that. Let me just rephrase the poor phrase. Um… my ultimate, not the number one on the list (anymore), ex- crush. When he took a step forward I felt my body went rigid and then I found myself running out of the church to find Andrew.

Property of BelleBurns©