"She told you that?".

"Mal...".

"She's filling your head with nonsense can't you see that?! She's only human and you're...".

"... a monster? An experiment gone wrong?".

She looks away at this.

"Hey that's not...".

"Then tell me what's true Malia. Tell me why the people who gave birth to me didn't want me?".

She's quiet.

"Whenever I see her or... whenever we're in a room together, she makes me feel like I belong. I know I hardly know her and we just met but... I think...".

"Don't finish that sentence Noah. Don't you dare".

I look at her as she turns away. A familiarly strange feeling washes over me and my senses heighten.

Oh great!

"Malia?" but it comes out like a loud grunt.

She turns around.

"You have got to be kidding me" she whispers.

For the first time I can hear her heartbeat.She was worried.

I could see outside the closed door, into the corrider. I searched for her voice. She was talking to Mrs. Levi's daughter.

"Dani, you don't need to ask me that. I'll stay with him. Just take your time. And tell your mom to calm down. You can call me if anything comes up okay?".

I drown out every other noise and focus on her voice. She did make me happy.

"Hey! What happened to the lights?".

"Noah, we've gotta go" Malia says to me.

I look and the entire room is dark.

"I don't know how long the lights are going to stay off but we need to get out of here before they come back on. I'm not in the mood to pepperspray anyone".

.. ••..••..••..••..••..••..••..••..••..••..••..••..••..••..••..••

Alexis' POV

I hug Danielle.

"So can you please watch Dylan for me?".

I pull away and give her a smile.

"Dani, you don't need to ask me that. I'll stay with him. Just take your time. And tell your mom to calm down. You can call me if anything comes up okay?".

She nods.

"Thank you".

I watch her run off. I sigh and take a sip of my not-so-cold-anymore smoothie. I'm moving towards Dylan's room when all the lights suddenly go off.

"Hey! What happened to the lights?".

I instantly grab my phone and turn on my flashlight. I make a beeline to Dylan's room and turn the doorknob.

A figure was standing in the middle of the room. My heart skips and I shine the light in that direction.

"Alex?" he calls.

I close the door.

"What are you doing out of bed?".

He moves towards me and I pick him up. I tuck him back into his bed.

"It hurts, where's mommy?".

His lips were quivering.

"No, no, calm down sweetie. Mommy's on her way relax okay?".