27. There's A Reason Behind Every Action

Start from the beginning

The apocalypse.

The end of the world is coming, Elisa.

Could it be? But no. Elisa shakes her head. The handler herself told that Mor would be the cause of the end of the world, of the apocalypse. Mor is dead. The apocalypse won't come. What part does Elisa have in it now?

"You know it." The handler her cruel smile widens.

"I don't." Elisa continues shaking her head, unwilling to realize.

"Accept it, Elisa," the handler pushes. "Accept your fa-"

"What part do I have in causing the end of the world?" The words leave quicker than they should. At first, Elisa is not even sure she said them correctly, but when her eyes fall on the handler again, she knows that the sentence came out just fine.

"You are the cause, Elisa," the handler says.

"I am not," Elisa growls. "You said Mor-"

"She could have been part of the cause, yes." The handler uses overdone hand gestures as she starts to explain. "I needed something—or someone—to trigger you. To trigger the bomb inside of you. But Morgana wasn't enough, it seemed. I had to find another way . . ."

Elisa stays quiet. Every word the handler says, breaks her more and more. Her whole reality is gone. Everything she knew is fake, is based on a lie. Her life . . .

"That is why I told you that Five was the one to give you the serum," the handler continues. "But again, it didn't work out the way I wanted it to. The way I needed it to. Then I figured, Five wouldn't do the job."

"What do you mean by that?" Elisa asks as the first tear slips down her cheek.

"That is why I was forced to take Vanya." The handler finally stops using her hand gestures. Now, she only looks at Elisa, scanning her face. Every sign of emotion might cause the end of the world. "It appears you would do everything to get her back. Look at you, Elisa."

"You raised me to destroy the entire world," Elisa speaks up again. Her lips tremble. Her hands are shaking. The handler notices this. "You never wanted to protect me—you never loved me. You only saw me as a . . . as a weapon."

This time, the handler stays quiet.

"Well." Elisa clenches her fists. "I am not your weapon. I'm my own. And I will use myself to protect the ones who do accept me for who I am."

"They think you're on outcast just like them!" the handler raises her voice. "You are no outcast. You are created! Your powers are mine, and they will always be!"

"It could've gone like that," Elisa agrees. "But you raised me too well. You made me strong, and now I'm going to use that against you."

"I know." The handler her voice softens again, surprising Elisa. She thought the woman was going to explode herself.

Elisa frowns at the handler who straightens her dress. "You're not mad at me," Elisa states.

"You're acting like I knew you would." The handler shrugs. "You acted like yourself. I always wanted you to become like me, but it seems you're tough to break. Don't worry, little one. I will break that armor of yours. I will. It does not matter if that means I'll have to take away everyone that you love."

"Why is this apocalypse so important?" Elisa raises her voice now. "Why do you need me to cause it? What's gotten into your head?"

The handler her smile fades away. Instead, a scowl leaves her lips. "The world is corrupted," she starts, "Every human is like a weed, and I plan on killing them all."